Gotham - Forged in the Dark - Playbook Ideas (+)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I might be worrying to much about flight, yeah. Possibly a product of all my years in D&D where flight needs to be carefully gated, at least early on.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I might be worrying to much about flight, yeah. Possibly a product of all my years in D&D where flight needs to be carefully gated, at least early on.

I think it’s the kind of thing you’ll have to see how it affects things in play and then decide how to handle it. It’s possible that it becomes a big deal, and needs to be curbed at least a bit. Or maybe it’s no big deal.

I definitely like the idea of it adding to Heat though. And other powers, too....it makes total sense and gives the player a meaningful decision in play.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I think it’s the kind of thing you’ll have to see how it affects things in play and then decide how to handle it. It’s possible that it becomes a big deal, and needs to be curbed at least a bit. Or maybe it’s no big deal.
I agree, playtest is probably the best litmus test. I'm going to put a pin in it.
I definitely like the idea of it adding to Heat though. And other powers, too....it makes total sense and gives the player a meaningful decision in play.
The balance of generating Heat versus managing Obsession is something I thought could add to the tension, pulling characters in different directions. I think the powers will often end up woven into the origin story for a lot of characters, and I think I want mechanics to kind index that, so power use and Obsession should end up being related ideas. That's the plan anyway.:unsure:

EX6t0bkXQAYCct7.jpg

Do you know anything about this?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Just a small thought. What do you guys think about treating Obsession a little bit like a negative aspect in FATE? I'm considering allowing GM compels of Obsession, which the character can either comply with and reduce/maintain the Obsession track, or avoid by taking stress. Probably in the 1 to 2 stress range.

I'm still not sure if Obsession should be a part of the stress mechanic or a separate track. We can probably discuss it using the generic 'points' referring to either.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Just a small thought. What do you guys think about treating Obsession a little bit like a negative aspect in FATE? I'm considering allowing GM compels of Obsession, which the character can either comply with and reduce/maintain the Obsession track, or avoid by taking stress. Probably in the 1 to 2 stress range.

I'm still not sure if Obsession should be a part of the stress mechanic or a separate track. We can probably discuss it using the generic 'points' referring to either.

I think there’s some interesting potential there. Obsession also seems close to Vice. Potentially, at least.

I think you could go a few ways with this.

So let’s say the Obsession comes up....the GM points it out. The player can deny his obsession by paying stress. Do they clear stress by accepting the obsession and changing their action accordingly?

Can it be connected to stress and not its own thing?

Or do you think there’s enough there to warrant a new track devoted to Obsession?

I think it depends on how you want it to function and how you want it to impact play.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I suggest Invoke instead of Arcane, since Arcane isn't a verb :)

For absorption and storage, there's always the trick of turning an energy effect into Stress relief? Or recharging Special Armor?

For Flight, maybe it's a special effect to tack onto Scramble or Invoke?

Flight (specifically Firefly) was the first thing I thought of with the suggestion that Helm be changed to Handle. I think Handle works it well and equally Flight shouldnt be seen as a major issue. It gives extra mobility but Gotham has cramped high rises making it very difficult to manouvere through

Remove ads