• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grappling for Dummies

Lord Pendragon

First Post
A few questions about grappling, for one who has never quite gotten the hang of it:

If Fighter and Monster are grappling, and Ranger wants to attack Monster, is there a chance he'll hit Fighter instead? Are there any penalties to the attack at all? If so, what are they?

Thanks for any clarification.

Jhyrryl

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
A few questions about grappling, for one who has never quite gotten the hang of it:

If Fighter and Monster are grappling, and Ranger wants to attack Monster, is there a chance he'll hit Fighter instead? Are there any penalties to the attack at all? If so, what are they?

Thanks for any clarification.
If it's a ranged attack, roll randomly to see who is being attacked. Regardless of who is getting attacked, and whether it's a melee or ranged attack, someone involved in a grapple looses his Dex bonus to AC.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Jhyrryl said:
If it's a ranged attack, roll randomly to see who is being attacked. Regardless of who is getting attacked, and whether it's a melee or ranged attack, someone involved in a grapple looses his Dex bonus to AC.
Okay, so:

1. If it's a ranged attack, then either grappler has an even (50%) chance of being struck, regardless of who the attacker was aiming for.

2. Both grapplers lose their Dex Bonus to AC.

What about melee? Can a knight with a greatsword strike out at a grappled foe without worrying about hitting his friend (maintaining the grapple)? Is Cover of Concealment involved in any way?

Jhyrryl

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Okay, so:

1. If it's a ranged attack, then either grappler has an even (50%) chance of being struck, regardless of who the attacker was aiming for.
Correct.
2. Both grapplers lose their Dex Bonus to AC.
Correct.
What about melee? Can a knight with a greatsword strike out at a grappled foe without worrying about hitting his friend (maintaining the grapple)?
Yes.
Is Cover of Concealment involved in any way?
No.

Relevant reading is 3.5 PH, page 151, Table 8-6: Armor Class Modifiers.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Both grapplers lose their Dex Bonus to AC.
IMG, the monk likes to grapple opponents and then the rogue sneak attacks the grappled victim. It works very well, usually.

Jhyrryl said:
If it's a ranged attack, roll randomly to see who is being attacked.

A week ago we had this same question pop up. We all thought it worked that way, but none of us could find where it stated that in the rulebooks. It's driving me nuts. Do you happen to have a page reference so I can sleep again?

AS

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Thanks for all the clarification, guys.

Now I just need to practice some grappling in-game to get the info to stick. The main problem is that I hardly ever see it used, so I have to brush up on it every once in a while. :eek:

Remove ads