Great Dungeons

xigbar

Explorer
I'm a firm believer in having as many different aspects in a dungeon as possible. I especially think that people don't use puzzles often enough. Lots of traps, encounters, and social encounters, sure, but not many puzzles, and I love making PCs move around, and figure out how to move past an obstacle. Anyway, enough on my 2 cents; What are some of the most interesting and well made dungeons you've played in/DMed?

the Jester

Legend
Tomb of Horrors is a great one. There's a pyramid in one of the Desert of Desolation modules with some cool tricks (curved walls in the mist). The Lost City. The dead aboleth city in the Savage Tide AP. Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan. The Gates of Firestorm Peak. The Caves of Chaos. Skytumble Tor.

Then there are some homebrewed ones I've run that I really enjoyed: Grandfather's Legacy; the Terran Undercollege; an underwater ancient (essentially a fantasy version of a nuclear) reactor; etc.

Jimlock

Adventurer
The best dungeon I've ever played was the "Temple of the Frog", a 1e adventure. It was my single experience with 1e.
It was full of great riddles and puzzles.
...Having said that, it was so long ago that i do not remember which parts was in the book and which parts were the DM's creation...

xigbar

Explorer
Tomb of Horrors is a great one. There's a pyramid in one of the Desert of Desolation modules with some cool tricks (curved walls in the mist). The Lost City. The dead aboleth city in the Savage Tide AP. Hidden Shrine of Tomoachan. The Gates of Firestorm Peak. The Caves of Chaos. Skytumble Tor.

Then there are some homebrewed ones I've run that I really enjoyed: Grandfather's Legacy; the Terran Undercollege; an underwater ancient (essentially a fantasy version of a nuclear) reactor; etc.

That's really interesting. When I first came to this forum, people were talking about all of these modules, and it seemed strange to me, because my group always makes it's own dungeons. Does anyone have layouts of the dungeons mentioned by the Jester?

FEADIN

Explorer
That's really interesting. When I first came to this forum, people were talking about all of these modules, and it seemed strange to me, because my group always makes it's own dungeons. Does anyone have layouts of the dungeons mentioned by the Jester?

You can buy them on some specialized site, Tomb of Horror was converted to 3.5 on the wizard site.

About traps and riddle there is the Mud sorcerer tomb printed in Dungeon for two editions.

http://intwischa.com/dungeon/

lordxaviar

Explorer
I don't have a way to buy them online, but thanks for the link, I found a few of their layouts elsewhere, with all of their names to reference.

omg...buy them?
as to the original question... you have a good point... alot of mod's left behind the idea of a PLOT or puzzle behind the story, and few puzzle traps.. Judges guild had a few mods that werent bad... like dark tower..

most of the adventures i went on that were deeply puzzling were homegrown from the minds of some very wacked out fellow service men.. Great Lakes Il... anyone remember the store Dale's dungeon?

X

Last edited:

Jimlock

Adventurer
omg...buy them? lol sorry but there is a thing called a torrent... you can download the entire 3.5 library along with 2.5, 2.0 and 1.0 and all the dragons all dungeon mag's just about every adventure that has ever been printed...

lol...I feel so bad i can't XP that yet...

lordxaviar, you a true, reckless, hero!

Remove ads