Greatest Campaign Adventures for Sci-fi - looking for suggestions

pogre

Legend
I think of certain campaign adventures as so great it is worth learning the system just to play and experience them - examples for me include:
The Enemy Within for WFRP
Masks of Nyarlathotep for Call of Cthulhu
The Great Pendragon Campaign

Is there a great adventure campaign in the sci-fi genre?

I just wrapped up my WFRP campaign and am looking to explore a new system. Some of my players have expressed an interest in sci-fi. My other campaign is a 100% homebrewed 5e D&D game - thus, I'm looking for a system with really solid adventure support. My priority is great adventures first and rules second.

If you have a suggestion for a campaign that is not sci-fi that you consider a great - please mention that too.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I am a big fan of Traveller. Here are a couple of campaign adventures that I recommend.

The first is The Pirates of Drinax. This sandbox kit comes with a ton of setting material for the Traveller Third Imperium setting. Specifically the Trojan Reach sectors. The PCs are given a ship and tasked with restoring the might and influence of Drinax, a fallen empire of the Trojan Reach. As a sandbox, the material covers numerous adventures both large and small. How the PCs achieve their goals is up to them. This campaign gives the feel of Firefly, Babylon 5, and other space empire stories.

The Second is Secret of the Ancients. This adventure is more linear and has a focused plot. The PCs start out as just the average band of Travellers, but are quickly thrown into an adventure that reveals answers about the Ancients sought for generations. This campaign is for players interested in exploring lost empires and uncovering dangerous secrets. This campaign gives the feel of Star Trek, The Expanse, and other Sci-Fi stories about exploring lost and powerful ancient beings.

pogre

Legend
I am a big fan of Traveller. Here are a couple of campaign adventures that I recommend.

The first is The Pirates of Drinax. This sandbox kit comes with a ton of setting material for the Traveller Third Imperium setting. Specifically the Trojan Reach sectors. The PCs are given a ship and tasked with restoring the might and influence of Drinax, a fallen empire of the Trojan Reach. As a sandbox, the material covers numerous adventures both large and small. How the PCs achieve their goals is up to them. This campaign gives the feel of Firefly, Babylon 5, and other space empire stories.
Thanks for the suggestions! The Pirates of Drinax stuff was available as a Bundle of Holding as were the rules -so I bought the whole thing. Looking forward to reading it. Have not played Traveller since the 1980s!

payn

Thanks for the suggestions! The Pirates of Drinax stuff was available as a Bundle of Holding as were the rules -so I bought the whole thing. Looking forward to reading it. Have not played Traveller since the 1980s!
Im about 6 months into my PoD campaign. Feel free to talk shop anytime! I found the Drinaxian Companion to be an excellent supplement for more bite size adventures.

pogre

Legend
Im about 6 months into my PoD campaign. Feel free to talk shop anytime! I found the Drinaxian Companion to be an excellent supplement for more bite size adventures.
We have been playing for a few weeks and it has been a blast. Thanks again for this suggestion!

Bluenose

Adventurer
To the other Traveller suggestions, Deepnight Revelation is the newest Mongoose Traveller 2e campaign set, even larger than Pirates of Drinax. It's a (very) long range exploration mission on the equivalent to a heavy cruiser, far beyond Charted Space.
And despite me having previously been really enthusiastic for an exploration campaign of this sort, once it came out I found I wasn't as enthusiastic for it as I had been for Pirates of Drinax. I realised that I loved the recurring factions and NPCs and sandbox parts and empire building in PoD, and DNR doesn't have much of that. For people who love Star Trek for the missions of discovery and travel in most of the series, I would say that DNR is the closest Traveller has ever come to that. If your favourite Star Trek is DS9, then it might well be that heading to Drinax is more what you want. I'm not disappointed that I joined the Kickstarter for DNR, it's great in its own way, but I suspect it'll be a long while before I run it.

pogre

Legend
You're Welcome. Are you using a VTT or meeting in person? How many players?
We meet remotely a couple of hours a week for this game - not because of the pandemic, but it is my brother and old gaming buddies who live far from me.

I use zoom, with an extra camera for miniatures and terrain, and a little bit of owlbear rodeo.

Six players when everyone shows, which has been every session of this campaign thus far.

payn

We meet remotely a couple of hours a week for this game - not because of the pandemic, but it is my brother and old gaming buddies who live far from me.

I use zoom, with an extra camera for miniatures and terrain, and a little bit of owlbear rodeo.

Six players when everyone shows, which has been every session of this campaign thus far.
Nice. We use Zoom and some Excel spreadsheets and a power point I put together. Though im leaning towards moving to Foundry going forward. These are guys I have been playing with for a few years now. We started with 5E Rise of Tiamat, but I took over when we completed that a little over a year ago. Originally in conference rooms at work, but remote since pandemic.

We have 5 players.
Human pilot/broker "the wheel man"
Human combat/rogue "the muscle"
Human Comms/engineering "the mechanic"
Human dilettante/noble "the face"
Aslan medic/science "the doc"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases