Greek Fire, Poison Arrows, & Scorpion Bombs

Skarp Hedin said:
After posting a bit in that thread about giant bee honey, I got to wondering -- has anyone else read this book: Greek Fire, Poison Arrows, & Scorpion Bombs: Biological and Chemical Weapons in the Ancient World by Adrienne Mayor?

I'll have to look for it. Right now I'm reading Ecological Imperialism: The Biological Expansion of Europe, 900-1900. Interesting book as well...

joe b.

Skarp Hedin

First Post
Well, a scorpion bomb is pretty much what you'd expect -- stuff a bunch of scorpions in a sealed pot and chuck it at people you don't like.

There's not a whole lot about the ingredients in Greek Fire, since the recipe's lost and there's already endless speculation as to the composition. The author does talk a bit about the delivery system, which was a fairly complex set-up of tubes and boilers, and of course does mention the fact that it keeps burning underwater.

There's also a lot about naphtha, which I'd say is closer to D&D's alchemist's fire. It burns, but you can put it out with some effort. There's also a fair bit about poisons, including a description of how to make scythicon, an arrow venom used by the Scythians.

One bit that I thought was interesting was a concept of a double-pointed arrow, where the secondary point is only loosely attached to the arrow, so that it'll break off in the wound -- put some poison of some sort on that, and you've a good chance of inflicting an unpleasant, highly infection-prone wound. Difficult to heal, and the secondary point was hard to get out with an arrow-spoon -- especially for a rushed battlefield doctor.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Ever check out the old Haunted Halls of Eveningstar module for FR? The upper hall was a kobold stronghold, and they'd drop barrels of oil or scorpions on you if you tried to scale the shafts that led up to their fortress.

Quite well done, and lots of room left for the DM to flesh it out. I recommend the .pdf.

haiiro

First Post
Skarp Hedin said:
After posting a bit in that thread about giant bee honey, I got to wondering -- has anyone else read this book: Greek Fire, Poison Arrows, & Scorpion Bombs: Biological and Chemical Weapons in the Ancient World by Adrienne Mayor?

Nope, but after reading your post I threw it into my "when I have money" Amazon cart -- this sounds awesome, and it makes my RBDM gland tingle. :D

Remove ads