Green Ronin's BLUE ROSE Kickstarter Is Here

Green Ronin has launched the Kickstarter for the new edition of its Blue Rose RPG. The Blue Rose game uses the Adventure Game Engine, which is the rule system behind Dragon Age, Fantasy AGE, and Titansgrave. It's a game which categorizes itself as "romantic fantasy", and focuses on complex and diverse character motivations; it is also being used to highlight inclusion in the tabletop gaming hobby.

Green Ronin has launched the Kickstarter for the new edition of its Blue Rose RPG. The Blue Rose game uses the Adventure Game Engine, which is the rule system behind Dragon Age, Fantasy AGE, and Titansgrave. It's a game which categorizes itself as "romantic fantasy", and focuses on complex and diverse character motivations; it is also being used to highlight inclusion in the tabletop gaming hobby.

a12efe1a4f5ae00678d59f5c0390e7f0_original.jpg

What's romantic fantasy? It's a subgenre of traditional fantasy which focuses on social, political, and romantic relationships. Authors like Mercedes Lackey and Tamora Pierce are good examples. If you enjoy a political game, this might be for you.

Blue Rose was first launched in 2005. The game is set in the world of Aldea, and, to use Green Ronin's own words (because they say it better than I can!) "took bold steps forward in terms of inclusion, such as gay, bi, and polyamorous characters, and gender equality, and weaving those themes into the society and mythology of the world itself, along with themes of cooperation and individuality, good and evil, and adventures beyond the “dungeon.”

This Kickstarter gets you a print edition for $40, with special editions costing a little more. The campaign seeks to raise $10,00 over the next month, and had raised over $2,000 already as I wrote this.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Unfortunately, my gaming group tends to run two alternating games, with gaming sessions every couple of weeks, so sometimes it's difficult to run more character-oriented/plot heavy campaigns. It's often "It's been a month since we played this game! Lets get some stuff done!", so this product probably isn't for us.

Tell you what though - I'd be tempted to invest in this KS just to get a poster-sized print of that cover art. Is there a level that gets you that? An stretch goal, maybe?

Dire Bare

Legend
I was intrigued by Blue Rose when it first came out 10 years ago, but never got it. For $30, I just locked in PDFs of the three original books plus the new version, awesome deal!

epithet

Explorer
The fact that I read "polyamorous" and my first thought was "flanking bonus" probably means I will never be mature enough for this product.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
lmao [MENTION=6796566]epithet[/MENTION]... omg... :)

that was funny... and yet from a very certain perspective flanking bonus is accurate. We won't go into that discussion here though.

Needless to say, I'm glad this KS is finally out, and it's doing pretty good already. Already funded, and over $20k. Not a bad first day.

The first time I heard about Blue Rose (it was in a post here in Enworld, of course) I was very interested as it sounded cool to have more robust rules for social interaction.

I hurried up to get a copy and at the end I was less charmed than what I originally expected.

It does have it´s own positive things but I didn’t find what I was hoping. However, while I was reading it I kept looking at it much more as a campaing setting than a separate game (something a-la-Dark Sun but with romantic fantasy).

With the material I already have now is enough to get me where I want to (if I would decide to go in that direction) so I wont back this kickstarter up, but if the project becomes successful (I hope it will) I would be willing to take a look at the new edition.

Remove ads

Remove ads