• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greenwood on FR npcs

Swordsage

Explorer
Nightfall said:
True but they do and have fought in other places. And I keep wondering why dragons end up being stronger than Demon Princes since they generally have more power. I mean when was the last time you saw a dragon ruling any of the Outer Planes? I don't think they have, yet Demon Princes have complete control over their planes and then are said to be "less powerful" than a dragon? That just doesn't work for me.

The answer is exceedingly simple. You have not yet had the opportunity to see what the Demon Princes, Archdevils et. al. of the Realms are like in terms of power. Last time I checked there hasn't been much in the way of information or game stats for 3E otherplanar creatures IN THE REALMS. Exceptions are creatures like Eltab who have a CR of 28 or so - more than enough to take on most dragons. The present material on the demon lords and princes are not binding on the Realms and never have been. For all we know, Demogorgon has a CR of 36 in the Realms and Asmodeus similarly. Or they might even be gods on their own planes. The new, exclusive FR cosmology means all bets are off re non-specific, non-FR products. Hordes of the Abyss isn't 'core' for the Realms and never will be. Hence you can't say that "dragons end up being stronger than Demon Princes since they generally have more power." You don't know how strong demon princes are in the Realms cosmology and can't make a comparison.

The Swordsage

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads