• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greetings. Not D&D - Looking for a writer for science fiction-fantasy RPG.

Awerdyn

First Post
I was reading the forums about people being paid .02 cents a word. For writing adventures. I am looking for a writer of modules for my game. Starting next year, I was planning on creating 4 modules. You get credit as co-author. If it is published. You get paid up to 10,000 words. Plusa $50 sign on payment to learn the game. Let me know?!

RivetGeekWil

Lead developer Tribes in the Dark
I was reading the forums about people being paid .02 cents a word. For writing adventures. I am looking for a writer of modules for my game. Starting next year, I was planning on creating 4 modules. You get credit as co-author. If it is published. You get paid up to 10,000 words. Plusa $50 sign on payment to learn the game. Let me know?!
When you read about .02 a word it's typically in the context of it being absolute robbery. That is a totally abysmal rate. $250 to learn a new game and write 10,000 words? I assume since these are "modules" that will also require pacing, game stats, marrying events up to the mechanics. Even at $10/hour (below minimum wage) do you think that will take the contractor only 25 hours to do so all of that? Do you know how long it typically takes to write 10,000 words... Just writing them, not dealing with rules and stats and such?

And that isn't even addressing "if it is published". So you're saying if it's not published, the writer doesn't get paid?

F that. They do the work, they get paid. Getting it published is your circus not theirs.

Lycurgon

Adventurer
Looking up content writers rates I found a recommendation that beginners start at $0.10 a word. Experienced Professionals normally get between $0.50 and $1.00 per word. And complexity of the work can increase their rates. Module writing is probably more complex than most content writing. So you probably need a bit more money to get someone to write the modules you want.

phuong

Explorer
And that isn't even addressing "if it is published". So you're saying if it's not published, the writer doesn't get paid?

F that. They do the work, they get paid. Getting it published is your circus not theirs.
I believing OP was saying "you will get credit as coauthor if it is published".

phuong

Explorer
Looking up content writers rates I found a recommendation that beginners start at $0.10 a word. Experienced Professionals normally get between $0.50 and $1.00 per word. And complexity of the work can increase their rates. Module writing is probably more complex than most content writing. So you probably need a bit more money to get someone to write the modules you want.
$1 per word is a nice fantasy for someone. You can't really "look up content writer rates" for game module writing as there is hardly anyone doing it for a contract, mostly its gamers doing it in their spare time for fun to see if they can sell it.

RivetGeekWil

Lead developer Tribes in the Dark
$1 per word is a nice fantasy for someone. You can't really "look up content writer rates" for game module writing as there is hardly anyone doing it for a contract, mostly its gamers doing it in their spare time for fun to see if they can sell it.
That's BS, many freelance game writers do so on contract. The "they're just amateurs doing it for fun" is the line offered up by the ones defending crappy business practices.

If you can't pay the people doing the work for the book you want to publish, don't publish it or do it yourself.
Don't accept crap rates or conditions like "payment on publication" or even royalties if you want to freelance.

phuong

Explorer
If you can't pay the people doing the work for the book you want to publish, don't publish it or do it yourself.
Don't accept crap rates or conditions like "payment on publication" or even royalties if you want to freelance.
Is that why you never finished tribes in the dark :cool:

I don't think you need to be outraged by someone posting lowball prices, maybe they are looking for a rough draft from a teen in a country where $10/hour is a lot of money. No need to project your "outrage" that someone who offer less money than you would.

Remove ads