• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greetings. Not D&D - Looking for a writer for science fiction-fantasy RPG.

Awerdyn

First Post
I was reading the forums about people being paid .02 cents a word. For writing adventures. I am looking for a writer of modules for my game. Starting next year, I was planning on creating 4 modules. You get credit as co-author. If it is published. You get paid up to 10,000 words. Plusa $50 sign on payment to learn the game. Let me know?!

RivetGeekWil

Lead developer Tribes in the Dark
Is that why you never finished tribes in the dark :cool:

I don't think you need to be outraged by someone posting lowball prices, maybe they are looking for a rough draft from a teen in a country where $10/hour is a lot of money. No need to project your "outrage" that someone who offer less money than you would.

No, it's because resurrecting a game that originally had 24 books published for it and writing a core book in a new system is a lot of effort and takes time. And also, the playtest packet - which is fully playable - is on DTRPG and it's free.

And also, I don't care what they're looking for.

Last edited:

Awerdyn

First Post
They get paid regardless of publishing, and yes they get credit. Actually folks, I got the 2 cents a word from here, in these forums. I honestly did not know the going rate. I did pay 300.00 for a module once. I was also taken for the money in some respects. I do always give credit where credit is due. And they will be published unless I cannot use the material at all. I neglected to say, not realizing the hostility here, it's a co-developing module. They get my full attention and effort. And I did write I believe, that they get $50 just to learn the game.

Awerdyn

First Post
Now. All that being said, and in direct light of what I have read here, I am willing to go up to something higher. How much does matter to my budget. Fortunately, I do not think I have to post my budget here.

Awerdyn

First Post
Found this on princess Google.
How much do RPG writers make?

That's an honest 8 hours of work. At $0.05 per word, you'd be making $12.50 an hour...
What's a Freelance RPG Writer Worth?
PublisherRate/word for new writersNotes
Vorpal Games$0.04
Posthuman Studios$0.04
Pelgrane Press$0.03*

Lycurgon

Adventurer
Found this on princess Google.
How much do RPG writers make?

That's an honest 8 hours of work. At $0.05 per word, you'd be making $12.50 an hour...
What's a Freelance RPG Writer Worth?
PublisherRate/word for new writersNotes
Vorpal Games$0.04
Posthuman Studios$0.04
Pelgrane Press$0.03*
That appears to be from an article posted here on EN World in 2015. So seven years out of date.
But you do whatever you like.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
As a point of reference, right now I'm currently getting paid anywhere from $0.20 per word to $0.50 per word as a game developer/content producer, with an up front deposit ranging from $150 to $300 on average (I have been paid as much as $500 up front). And I'm very much just working with one or two small publishers. I am not in high demand. Those freelancers who are in high demand get paid more than I do.

RivetGeekWil

Lead developer Tribes in the Dark
Yeah Paizo was the company that the workers unionized because they were being paid $30k a year in Seattle.

I'm not going to turn this into a general thread about freelance payrates in TTRPGs.

But...if you get takers at the rate you're willing to pay you're not likely to get good ones. You'll get more and better at a more reasonable .08 to .10 cents a word. You also may get better if you go with a higher flat rate and make it a range (minimum 8k words, or x number of pages — note that you're asking for at least 8 pages depending on the layout, and probably 10+). You also, beyond "learning the system" (which $50 flat rate is only really a few hours) need to decide... Are they just writing text? Does this include stat blocks or other mechanics in the adventure? Those are more time consuming than just writing.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
When I last did freelance writing, I was paid five cents a word for 3PP content for 3E D&D. That was 20 years ago, though, and that might not be a fair rate anymore.

Remove ads