• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Greyhawk" announced

Sixchan

First Post
I've played Ultima, and it's OK, but I like the plots of FF much better. Or at least, all the SNES and Playstation plots.

NPC

First Post
The OG "Curse of the Azure Bonds" and "Pool of Radiance" games back in the late 80's used turn based combat and I didn't mind it at all. Yeah, combats did take longer, but like other posters have said, you also gained the ability to use better tactics in your combats.

Ever since Command and Conquer cam out, all games have to be "real time". Call me an old fogey, but I wouldn't mind a clunky old turn based DnD game as long as it used all of the 3e rules. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if it was top-down.

Anyone remember the Temple of Aphshai (sp?).

Lizard

Explorer
mmu1 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd also prefer the combat to be done as true to the 3E mechanics as possible, including real turn-based movement.

But a game like that, to work well, would have to depart from the massive amounts of combat you usually find in a CRPG and emphasize quality over quantity - can you imagine figthing 20 orcs in turn-based mode and waiting for the to do their moves, one at a time?

Children. Feh.

Three words for you, kid:"Pool of Radiance". Try battles against thirty or forty critters at once. On 16-20mhz computers.

mmu1

First Post
Lizard said:

Children. Feh.

Three words for you, kid:"Pool of Radiance". Try battles against thirty or forty critters at once. On 16-20mhz computers.

Try playing Steel Panthers and battles with a hundred units to a side, grandpa.

I prefer turn-based games to real-time ones, contrary to the assumptions everyone seems to be making based on the fact that repetitive slaughter of 20 or 30 enemies with no tactics involved doesn't appeal to me. High numbers are fine, as long as they're there for a reason, instead of being just a way for making up for crappy AI.

Vpenman

First Post
NPC said:
Anyone remember the Temple of Aphshai (sp?).

I do. IFIRC, you read a text decription of the room you were in from a printed manual. Actually, that was the basis of some of what we did with the gold box games at SSI.

Victor

Brown Jenkin

First Post
mmu1 said:

Try playing Steel Panthers and battles with a hundred units to a side, grandpa.

I prefer turn-based games to real-time ones, contrary to the assumptions everyone seems to be making based on the fact that repetitive slaughter of 20 or 30 enemies with no tactics involved doesn't appeal to me. High numbers are fine, as long as they're there for a reason, instead of being just a way for making up for crappy AI.

I also enjoy turn based games as well as real time, and it has been too long since a good turn based combat game has come out. If your complaint is swarms of smaller critters to make up for a poor AI I agree (unless it is fast enough paced like Diablo to make it fun). Have you tried NWN networked with some of the better downloadable modules? Some of these are (illegaly) lifted strait out of published modules with fewer chalenges that more closely match the players.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Vpenman said:

I do. IFIRC, you read a text decription of the room you were in from a printed manual. Actually, that was the basis of some of what we did with the gold box games at SSI.

Victor

Victor, I never knew you worked on the Gold Box series! I want you to know that you wasted many productive years of my adolescence. :D

And Lizard, if you think it was bad on a 16-20 MHz computer, try it on a ONE MHz Commodore 64 Processor. I seem to recall the processor in those C64's was a 6502 processor - and I remember seeing PC keyboards years later powered by the same processor!!!!!

KnowTheToe

First Post
This sounds cool. I prefer turn based games because I like planned strategic combat. XCOM was one of my favorite games because of the turn based squad combat. I loved that game. I also have a game called Combat Mission, which is a WWI Isimulation game that kicks ass.

http://www.combatmission.com/

Skaros

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
This sounds cool. I prefer turn based games because I like planned strategic combat. XCOM was one of my favorite games because of the turn based squad combat. I loved that game. I also have a game called Combat Mission, which is a WWI Isimulation game that kicks ass.

http://www.combatmission.com/

I loved XCOM...right up until all the battles started involving really annoying psionic attacks against the teams. I basically thought that was a huge flaw.

-Skaros

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads