Greyhawk : D20 other worlds crossover

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Hello folks,

I have been a lurker on this site for quite a while, and I have only recently found some time to contribute. Please be indulgent as English is not my first language.

Anyways, I have been running a Greyhawk campaign for about two years now, using a lot of published adventures (mostly DUNGEON).

The overall goal of the campaign is to stop the Evil Forces of Chaos tm :) from dissolving Greyhawk and the rest of the multiverse into pink champagne bubbling like goo. My campaign uses a good deal of pesudonatural / far realm monsters.

To achieve this the players must :
- retrieve the Fading Star artifact from the "A hero's Tale" anthology
- destroy the artifact known as the foundation stone (from the Shattered Circle adventure) in the adventure "Ravager of Time"
- Raid a former Epic wizard lair in "gates of Firestorm peak".

In between, I will send them on a quest through the multiverse : in order to reach the fabled "Isle of the Ape" they must go through a maximum of planar pathways AND visit a maximum of D20 worlds, if possible illustrating the law vs chaos approach.

I own quite a lot of D20 products, so do you have any ideas to give me ? the idea would be a sliders-like campaign where they would spend some time in each new D20 world before moving to the next world on their quest to the "Isle of the Ape". they are lvl 8 now, they would need to come back to greyhawk at about lvl 12.

Any comments/ Ideas / advice welcome, on this thread or Greyahwk as a whole.

Thanks to everybody for the help.

Talmun

First Post
Stereofm said:
I own quite a lot of D20 products, so do you have any ideas to give me ? the idea would be a sliders-like campaign where they would spend some time in each new D20 world before moving to the next world on their quest to the "Isle of the Ape".

It might be interesting to throw them into Rokugon. Imagine a bunch of decidedly 'European' warriors with decidedly western manners and mannerisms in a highly ritualized and completely foreign society (Greyhawk doesn't really have a 'Japanese' style region, at least not in 3.X).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm not sure how helpful you'll find this, but Human Head Studios's Redhurst: Academy of Magic deals with several published d20 worlds from the standpoint of a magic academy that plane shifts between them (and other worlds) every month or so. It could be helpful.

That said, you'll probably get the most reward from campaign worlds thatare wildly different from the norm. One particular way to maximize differences while still maintaining a feeling of familiarity would be if they somehow ended up in the future of Greyhawk, as in the Greyhawk 2000 setting presented in Dragon #277 and Dungeon #83. That would certainly throw your players for a loop (just be careful about letting them access the weaponry).

It sounds to me like you are looking for a mechanic to get them to travel to all these places.

Whether you are or just want some general feedback, my idea would be to have them find the Codex of Infinite Planes. This is an old artifact from 1E, though I'm not sure where you might find it in newer products. I do recall a David Zeb Cook article in Dragon when Planescape started, about a group of people, maybe just 1 who found the book and started reading its pages, with various effects.

If I remember correctly, and I may not since it has been years since reading about it, the Codex of Infinite Planes can move the reader from place to place throughout the multiverse. Plus as an artifact it has other powers and curses.

canonfire.com might have more info on it. I just googled and found a few articles from fansites regarding it, including something from enworld here. So I suggest googling it as well.

Hope that helps. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well if you need Scarred Lands help, the Sage is here to aid. Firstly my advice, have them run into orcs in the plains of Lede in a three way brawl with the Horsemen of Vangal and the Proud. Then have some "Knights" of Calastia come charging in and add some REAL fun to the mix. :) Finally top it off with a Vengaurak bloodlust frenzy and you'll find your players wishing they hadn't left home at all. ;)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
enworldatemylogin said:
Whether you are or just want some general feedback, my idea would be to have them find the Codex of Infinite Planes. This is an old artifact from 1E, though I'm not sure where you might find it in newer products.

It's found in 3E in the Epic Level Handbook, page 153.

Alzrius said:
It's found in 3E in the Epic Level Handbook, page 153.

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that. I just looked in the SRD and found it there.

Stereofm, I would not use the version found in the Epic Level Handbook, it is of no use to 8th and 12th level characters, (actually it would probably kill them). I'd suggest making up your own version.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Thank you all for the input. In fact, I do not really need a method for them to travel, Redhurst and the Codex are fine, but I was more on a kind of planar pathways trip, like the "Ways" of Wheel of Time.

The idea would be like :
Start in Greyhawk, use portal, get deposited in a unknown continent, like the Scarred lands, and what happens when they arrive, where is the next portal, and who do they have to meet to learn where it is. Along with a few local highpoints they must visit to show them a bit of the feel of the world.

Say if we take the scarred lands advice from nightfall, this is a good starting point. From then let's imagine I decide that the next portal is located in Hollowfaust, who would be likely to know of it, and what should they see on their travel to there that would be memorable for the players ?

A list of worlds I'd like them to explore :
Dark sun
Dragonlance
Scarred lands
FR (not high on my priorities, maybe save it for last)
Midnight
Kalamar
Arcanis

And all this knowing they should not spend more than three sessions in the same world.

Anybody can help with the travel brochure ?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Mm Hollowfaust! :) Well I don't know of any actual portals, but there might be something available in the Gascars. But as for possible portal, I'd say the Underfaust would be the most likely spot, since a lot of magical research is done there.

A list of worlds I'd like them to explore :

Dark sun - this is difficult because Athas is closed off by the black and grey, but you could come from one of the elemental planes, so a pool of water, the Sea of Silt, maybe riding a giant cloud ray through an air portal
Dragonlance - this used to be difficult, now maybe impossible by being closed off my chaos. But I'd suggest a tower of high sorcery ritual gone wrong or if you don't want to deal with your wizards having to deal with Red/Black/White robes, then somewhere else, Thorbardin perhaps.
Scarred lands - if you with Hollowfaust, use the Underfaust, have them be sent by the council to handle a problem with a recently discovered blackgaurd, and their is a portal leading to the plane of fire, (Hollowfaust being built on an ancient volcano)
FR (not high on my priorities, maybe save it for last) - arrive someplace just in time to see Elminster or the 7 sisters kicking some evil person's butt and get hit by a rogue plane shift spell
Midnight - don't know enough to help
Kalamar - only know a little more
Arcanis - don't know enough to help

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases