GREYHAWK: The Golden Era CY963: A1-P1-S2 [RESTORED CAMPAIGN THREAD]

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Upon Father Xavier placing the ring in the black box, I state, "If you smell the presence of the Demonic, then it is time we give you all of our story on this situation from when we began. As we were on our way here with Maxwell to find Vale, we saw two red Fiendish Orcs. They were wearing Pomarj insignia and riding manticore. We took cover and setup a plan to defeat them, fearing they were an advance scouting party for an attack on the area."

"After we defeated them and requisitioned the meat of the deer they had pounced upon, a false magically disguised Sheriff Denby Fairweather greeted us. He revealed himself as a half-orc named Vaelik the Deathblade when he attacked us. This caused us no small amount of concern to learn that a spy for the Pomarj was masquerading as local law enforcement."

"After getting a night's rest we decided to investigate further today. That's when we saw the real Denby and his altercation with Edward and Paulek. From what Father Clarence divined, it seems we were just in the nick of time. According to Sylvar, Paulek was certainly feeling no small measure of aggression toward Denby at that moment."

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale Reacts...

~ Blast the luck; I warned the bloke! ~

Vale is visibly distraught and angry. He warned Father Clarence to no avail.

~ The young wildling elven wizard is a quick thinker. Good. He'll need to keep being that way with this kind of magic in play. ~

As Father Xavier and Respen are dealing with the ring, Vale speaks to Dewydd & Sylvar, quietly, so neither the priests in the temple nor Edward overhears: "We need to get into that cell and question the green rider, and we need to deal with the other matter, and we need to do both quickly."

Vale refers to questioning the corpses acquired in the previous evenings engagement by Respen, Sylvar, Dewydd, Lathir, Karth, Maxwell, and Vega. However, he will not mention it out loud given the ring, realizing nearly at the same time Respen did the significance of scrying; the less information out loud at the moment, the better.

After the ring is boxed, he addresses Father Xavier, "What needs to happen to undo the curse on Mr. Denby? We need to proceed immediately with it."

He then speaks to Denby, Edward, and Harold, "Edward, Harold, if you haven't come to the conclusion yet yourself, we believe that this is Sheriff Denby. If St. Cuthbert's resources are sufficient to resolve this, we should be clear on that truth in good order. In the meantime, Mr. Denby, you will likely need to become comfortable with standing relieved of direct command for the time being. Who or whatever caused this appears to have handlers doing the dirty work. When we are done with Greenie, we need to make sure he is properly sequestered. Then you need to resume your charge to protect this town. To whatever degree you require of me, I am at your disposal. Caltaran has taken care of me for nearly two months; I am honored to return the goodwill. "

And again to Father Xavier: "If you can dispel the effects of this item, be about it. If not, can you administer a truth test that is ironclad and without magical or natural clever manipulation? Caltaran, and you by extension, needs its guard, and it would be more able with its normal commander."

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Denby Is Proven To Be Denby

Dewydd said:
Upon Father Xavier placing the ring in the black box, I state, "If you smell the presence of the Demonic, then it is time we give you all of our story on this situation from when we began. As we were on our way here with Maxwell to find Vale, we saw two red Fiendish Orcs. They were wearing Pomarj insignia and riding Manticores. We took cover and setup a plan to defeat them, fearing they were an advance scouting party for an attack on the area."

Father Xavier says: "Yes, the Pomarj Orcs are known consorts of the Demonic; when Iuz used gated Demonic forces to bolster his own army during the initial outbreak of the Great War of The Flanaess, some 61 years ago, he opened the proverbial floodgates. The number of fiends he loosed upon the Prime Material Plane is unknown, and unknowable; it is impossible to account for all of them. Since that time, Fiendish origins have been noted in many of the lower Humanoid races, from all over the continent, whose morality is questionable at best. Orcs, Gnolls, Bugbears, Hobgoblins, Goblins, Kobolds, Ogres, Hill Giants, you name it; if there is evil in one's heart, then one is not loathe to lie with Demon-kind, in return for the promise of power. The Orcs of the Pomarj are no exception; indeed, it seems that they, more so than all others, have truly embraced the Demonic. And indeed, they have grown in power as a result, hence their ability to command creatures such as Manticores, which their scouts are known to ride. And therein lies the true danger; scouts which ride those beasts are usually reserved for long-range missions, not short ones. I doubt that The Pomarj is concerned with our little backwater region. They have much more grandiose schemes in mind, I can assure you. Did you find anything on them that would indicate where they were headed, and/or what their orders might have been?"

Without waiting for a response, Father Xavier casts Dispel Magic upon Denby; there is a bright flash of light, as his spell flings itself against the magic that prevails upon the changed man; but as powerful as Father Xavier's spell is, it is no match for the magicks affecting Denby. The spell sputters and fades. Father Xavier is shocked; "I have never seen a spell so powerful before. This is beyond my skill."

Edward steps toward Denby, and says, "There's one way to figure out if it really is you. You once told Harold and I that your father had a dog of which you were exceedingly fond, when you were a young boy. He was a Golden Retriever. What was the dog's name?"

Denby laughs, and says: "Brilliant as ever, Edward. You'll make a fine Sheriff one day. I didn't love that dog, I hated him. He used to bite my sister and I for no reason. And he wasn't a Golden Retriever, he was a Black Mastiff. His name was Jacques."

Both Harold and Edward breathe a long sigh. Harold says, "Then it really is you. What in the Nine Hells happened to you, old man?" smiling at both Denby and Edward as he speaks. Edward laughs, and says, "I'll tell you what happened, he blundered into the plot of some foul Wizard!" Both Edward and Harold clap Denby on the back and shake his hand. Edward says, lastly, "Don't worry, sir. We'll see you through this."

[Everyone: What do you do?]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
DM Record-Keeping:

Today is Patchwall 11th, CY 963. Your day began at 9 am in the common room of the Red Roc Inn.

Lathir left town at 12:30 PM.

At this point, it is now 1 PM in the afternoon.

akahdrin

First Post
Kasnik finds this entire situation strange. Thinking to himself...**A man who can't remember a gift that he created for a friend. Something is wrong.**

Kasnik says, "I'm getting a bit restless and feel strange without my armor on. Excuse me for a moment." and asks the assistance for anyone in the room to help with putting his armor on.

Kasnik starts to put on his armor (2 minute suit up time). If enough time passes for this, he will casually pick up his great sword in 1 hand, and his shield in the other. Kasnik will position himself at the door once his armor is on, waiting for everyone to leave.

GM: Edward and Harold help Kasnik put the armor on, and the process is finished just as the Man in Green is waking up, and as the clergy are leaving.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Father Xavier, Do you have the skill to wake the green man? I feel it is time we interrogate him.

GM: Father Xavier says that he can, indeed, wake him. He says that he has merely been knocked out by a heavy blow, and that any Cure Wounds spell of moderate or greater power should have the power to bring him around. Father Xavier calls for the acolyte to bring the Man in Green into the main chamber. Once the man has been delivered, Father Xavier lays a hand on him, just as he did with Father Clarence. A surge of energy pulses down his arm, and into the Green Man; instantly, the man opens his eyes, gasping in horror at his surroundings. He doesn't move, but you can all sense that he is contemplating flight. Father Xavier excuses himself, taking Father Clarence with him. He says that he wants to talk with Father Clarence, and that he will return shortly. The acolyte leaves as well, closing the door behind him. The party is now alone with a conscious, unarmed, Man in Green.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen & Vale And Greenie The Small Man (who IS in a world of :):):):):):))

Vale:

~ Let's see if he scares easily. ~

Vale eyes the prisoner as he whispers to himself the beginning of a prayer to Clangeddin Silverbeard, particularly the warm up to the Silence spell, where he can release it with but a breath. He looks at him, unclothed and without any weapons or gear. He wants the fellow to feel self-conscious. And afraid. And in a few moments, he wants him to feel broken.

Vale chuckles to himself, under his breath. addresses the unclothed small man (formerly the green rider), "Well met, my nearly naked friend. You are a might wee one for a human. Do you know where ye are? Ye are in a world of piss. Not literally, of course. But that can change. You met my dire-pup already, did ye? He's a pleasant fellow...not so much when he knows I have met a baddie. Now, you are probably thinkin, 'maybe I should kill myself somehow'...I'll jest tell ya, that'll do nicely...it'll save us the trouble. Maybe you think you can escape. I can promise you that won't happen. (Vale reaches down and touches his axe). We'll carve you up so fast, you won't realize it's only your head that's bouncing out of the room until it rolls to a stop looking back at the rest of ye. "

"So here's your options: Tell us everything we want to know, and then we lock you up with three squares a day, but you remain alive for awhile longer (Vale recalls the truthsayer nature of the temple), perhaps even long enough to wipe your noggin' of any notion of who you are...eh...rather who you were; Or, you can do this the fun way (Vale again taps the axe in its holster at his leg), and I'll let me pup make you a eunuch; that's right...he'll use your balls for chew toys...and we'll let you bleed to death, and then we'll ask your corpse. Oh...yeah...that's why I'm very fine with you dyin'. And, by the way, we'll know when you are lying to us, magic being what it is...and you'll get two chances to do it. One per testicle. And if you even so much as whisper the beginnings of a spell, we'll go straight to the last option. And we won't get to know each other at all. "

Vale eyes the wee former green rider. "Do ye understand me? Do ye understand that ye have lost today? Ye can nod your head yes now; in fact, I insist that you do."

Respen looks at Vale with a sly grin. He really likes this dwarf. He sits back, waiting for Vale to finish his intimidation attempt. Assuming it works, it certainly sounds tough. If it doesn't, Respen will play nice and attempt to hypnotize the little man. Respen likes this approach.

[sblock=Intimidation Roll]
rolz.org: Vale rolls 1d20+3 = 21 (18+3)
[/sblock]

akahdrin

First Post
Kasnik sends for his horse to run at great haste. Kasnik thinks to himself **I've seen this behavior before back in Pomarj. I don't need to revel in the death and suffering of others again and it shouldn't be striven for here either as once this path is gone down, it is almost impossible to turn back.**

Kasnik is in disbelief in how this Vale is acting and how Respen is approving of it. After he insists to get a head nod from man in green, Kasnik immediately positions himself between Vale and the man in green with his shield and weapon drawn. "Is this how we act? Is this how we show we are better? By being evil? By threatening torture? You are no better then! I am disgusted! The druids of the grove where I am from would never allow one of their children to act in this manner. You will not lay a hand on him and your pup will not either. If either you do, I swear by Valarian that we will have more than words. He will have his time for a trial and his punishment will follow. This 'punishment' will not happen before by your hand or by your command."

Kasnik snarls at Vale and assumes a completely defensive posture (Total defense) near the green man. Pointing his sword at Vale and commanding, "We are better than this!"

OOC: Kasnik is actively using Detect Evil on Vale. I hope Vale realizes that he is willingly threatening murder (an evil act) and that he is happy with it (chaotic evil). Kasnik's mount runs at a 300 and can double move at a 120 which should put him in the room with me within a round or 2 at most if unimpeded. The mount is intelligent (6) and will open doors if required to via pulling it with mouth or ramming it open with it's body. I am actively calling him via Empathic Link (1 mile range) to aid me at maximum haste as protection is needed and as I am probably in danger. Once in the room I will take a 10 due to my saddle with an auto 26 ride to fast mount. Diplomacy roll of a 12 on Rolz to get the man in green to talk peacefully.

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale responds to Kasnik, and Respen does his thing...

Kasnik sends for his horse to run at great haste. Kasnik thinks to himself **I've seen this behavior before back in Pomarj. I don't need to revel in the death and suffering of others again and it shouldn't be striven for here either as once this path is gone down, it is almost impossible to turn back.**

Kasnik is in disbelief in how this Vale is acting and how Respen is approving of it. After he insists to get a head nod from man in green, Kasnik immediately positions himself between Vale and the man in green with his shield and weapon drawn. "Is this how we act? Is this how we show we are better? By being evil? By threatening torture? You are no better then! I am disgusted! The druids of the grove where I am from would never allow one of their children to act in this manner. You will not lay a hand on him and your pup will not either. If either you do, I swear by Valarian that we will have more than words. He will have his time for a trial and his punishment will follow. This 'punishment' will not happen before by your hand or by your command."

Kasnik snarls at Vale and assumes a completely defensive posture (Total defense) near the green man. Pointing his sword at Vale and commanding, "We are better than this!"

OOC: Kasnik is actively using Detect Evil on Vale. I hope Vale realizes that he is willingly threatening murder (an evil act) and that he is happy with it (chaotic evil). Kasnik's mount runs at a 300 and can double move at a 120 which should put him in the room with me within a round or 2 at most if unimpeded. The mount is intelligent (6) and will open doors if required to via pulling it with mouth or ramming it open with it's body. I am actively calling him via Empathic Link (1 mile range) to aid me at maximum haste as protection is needed and as I am probably in danger. Once in the room I will take a 10 due to my saddle with an auto 26 ride to fast mount. Diplomacy roll of a 12 on Rolz to get the man in green to talk peacefully.

~ What?! Just wonderful. So much for that tactic. ~

Vale, without weapons, puts himself eyeball to eyeball with the Orc, about a foot away, so close that Kasnik can hear him clearly. He speaks calmly, not really a departure from his comments to Greenie, as he is matter of fact, but he no longer has the menacing tone. He leans in and whispers to Kasnik, "Old man, are ye daft?!? One priest lost his mind and the other had to seal the cursed item that did it. We don't know who this wee one is, but he was spying around the Sheriff's office. You got here long enough to see him nearly trample townsfolk with willful disregard once he realized he was caught. He did a backflip off of his horse and landed upright. And he cut Harold with a poison dagger. Weapons or no, he isn't harmless." Vale turns in exasperation, and steps back. "I am not interested in harming him, especially in somebody else's temple. However, he doesn't know that. He doesn't even know where he is. Or who we are. Now, I know that you don't know that either. I know that Orcs who have chosen good versus evil have little patience for even the appearance of evil, so I think I understand your point. Now, understand mine. He needs to think he's in danger of walking out of here minus a few body parts so he plays nice and doesn't try to kill anybody in here or out there. If my methods offend you, I beg your pardon. I'd point out that my weapon hasn't moved; it's holstered and will stay so, unlike yours."

Vale stands relaxed, waiting on Kasnik to stand down. After a few moments of silence, he folds his arms in an impatient, but not impertinent manner. Vale demonstrates respect to this holy warrior of Valarian, but he is clearly undeterred, "Whenever you are done, friend, we can get on with it."

OOC: Vale is Chaotic Good; Respen is Chaotic Neutral with good tendencies. Both have a 'thing' for pragmatism. It's about the only similar thing about them. There is no evil here. It's simply a bullying intimidation tactic on a clearly evil NPC; perhaps Kasnik will deduce that from the auras of Vale, Respen, and the green dude.

Respen watches, thinking that the exchange between Kasnik and Vale might necessitate hypnotizing (or attempting to, anyway) the green rider. Respen locks eyes on the green rider, and speaks an elven incantation toward the prisoner in order to hypnotize him. Perhaps it will bring peace to the matter.

OOC: Given it's 2am in the morning, I figure I cared enough about it to attempt to settle it. Insomnia helped. Waiting for allergy meds to kick in.

Last edited:

Remove ads