• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Grim Tales] Spellcasting Variant

Galethorn

First Post
Ok, so, I've come up with a spellcasting variant for a new campaign I'm starting in about two weeks...basically, my goal is to make spellcasting a little bit less dangerous to the caster, while keeping spells/spellcasters very, very rare. Oh, and this is combined with something else I thought up; non-lethal damage > con score results in a DC15 fort save vs. being [Clobbered] (so, in the same boat as 'non-lethal damage = current hp').

In the most basic of terms, spell burn does 1d6 damage per spell level to the caster (for example, a level 4 spell does 4d6 damage). If they have Magic Adept, they get their primary-casting-stat-mod in DR versus that damage, and the damage is non-lethal.

So, now the example: 3rd level smart hero with 16 intelligence (Burn Resistance 3), 10 con (and therefore 13hp; average) wants to cast a 3rd level spell (and he has Spellcasting Adept). First, he rolls a caster-level check, as usual. He spends an action point and succeeds. So, he takes 3d6 damage, rolls a total of 14 (11 modified), and has to make the fort save. He fails, so he's Clobbered.

Second example; level 1 smart hero with 16 intelligence and 10 con (6 hp) casts a 1st level spell. He fails at casting (despite an action point), and take 1d6 damage, rolls a six, and is reduced to 0 hp. He tries to cast a healing spell, and succeeds (healing 5 hp), but then rolls another six on the burn damage. He goes into the negatives, and starts bleeding to death.

All of this will be combined with the fact that I'm going to have healing magic convert lethal damage into non-lethal.

So,, what do you guys think this will do to achieve my goal? My other idea is keeping the damage the way it is as written for 'Learned' (Int-based) and 'Natural' (Wis-based) casters, but have the HP damage for 'Innate' (Cha-based) spellcasters, to sort of make up for their spells counting as a level high (for the DC to cast), and their much more limited spell list.

Kirin'Tor

First Post
That sounds like a well balanced, slightly magic-empowering alternate (compared to GT Core). While quite a profound mechanic, the Spell-Burn = Ability Damage rules are pretty darn harsh, and it sounds like you're wanting a 'lighter' level of magic...

One thing to keep in mind is that if you're also using action points and non-combat healing, then you'll see alot of new (and even seasoned) casters blowing their actions points that way.

But that's just IMHO, I'm no Wulf :p

fuindordm

Adventurer
Kirin'Tor said:
That sounds like a well balanced, slightly magic-empowering alternate (compared to GT Core). While quite a profound mechanic, the Spell-Burn = Ability Damage rules are pretty darn harsh, and it sounds like you're wanting a 'lighter' level of magic...

It sounds well balanced mechanically, but the feel is a little too 'safe' for GT IMO. Someone with the magical adept feat can cast spells fearlessly, all they do is get more and more tired. They'll still have to husband their resources and need to be careful about it, so that's OK.

How about this tweak, though--a roll of 1 on the dice isn't regular damage but Con damage for adepts and non-adepts alike. (Casting a cantrip gives you d6/2 spell burn, but you still roll the d6 so the chance of Con damage is not too high.) Then spell burn can kill you if you're not careful, but it's unlikely to.

Ben

Galethorn

First Post
Well, the purpose is to make spellcasting a bit more safe, but keep it limited. On that front, however, it might make sense if the failed fort save vs. "Massive Non-Lethal Damage" resulted in being unconcious (as if their non-lethal damage was greater than their current HP)...

The other thing is that I'm going to have all healing be of the 'convert lethal to non-lethal' sort, so the action points would give back 'real' HP, but might actually make a character who already has non-lethal damage go unconcious.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Galethorn said:
(I'm looking at you, Wulf)

I thought you might be... ;)

Why does everybody look to me for ways to make their low-magic game high-magic again?

There was another thread in this forum not too long ago asking for suggestions, I put a few in there.

Wulf

Serps

First Post
After looking at the Warhammer FRP v2 rules, I'm tempted to make spellcasting easier, but even more risky. Sure, you have mad spell burn resistance, but once you start rolling doubles or triples for your spellburn dice, it's gonna end in tears...

Galethorn

First Post
UPDATE!

I've been talking with the player who wanted the 'arcane archer' sort of character, and he's decided he'd rather just be a 'mundane' archer...overall, it makes for a better backstory for the character, and it means the group won't have a 'real' spellcaster...of course, that's only if you don't include the 'shaman' (has a couple blessing/cursing spells, and augury, and does the rest with alchemy, for brewing potions/poisons). And he doesn't mind losing some strength or con when he needs to cast a spell (because it doesn't defeat the purpose of casting the spell, like it would with an archer casting Flame Arrow or the like).

So, I'm just going to stick with magic-as-written. Thanks for the advice anyway, everybody.

Remove ads