• Grim Tales

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • The Black Company

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Other (Please elaborate)

Votes: 4 9.3%

Krieg

First Post
Which alternate dark D20 game do you prefer?

And why?

Right now Grim Tales is it for me. It's flexibility allows me to add or subtract pretty much anything I want with little fuss.

Edit: Oops forgot CoCD20 & Grimm (among others I am sure).

Edit deux: Crap I forgot Midnight too!

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I really like Grim, though it might not be exactly what you are looking for. The versions of the fairytales are really dark, darker then most of the orginals. The smaller and more useful list of skills and feats is great, the magic system has a nice set up but needed more work. THe classes though are all funh and offer some great challenges to play kids.

TheLostSoul

Explorer
I prefer to use Unearthed Arcana to create grim and gritty games. I am sure Grim Tales is terrific, but I do not feel that I need it. I rarely play D20 anymore, though...

Turanil

First Post
Krieg said:
Edit: Oops forgot CoCD20 & Grim (among others I am sure).
CoCd20 + Grim Tales is something I plan to do...

The only other book I can compare Grim Tales with is Dark Lore (a 5$ PDF on rpgnow). In fact, I do prefer GT where rules are concerned. The setting is an interesting setting for someone who quickly wants one and don't want to buy a full book at 30$.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Grim Tales is nice, but I like HARP. I don't necessarily think HARP is Grim though, just more realistic, and more flexible.

SWBaxter

First Post
Some great games up there, but I dunno if any of 'em match up to Ken Hood's grim 'n' gritty HP system for d20 grittiness. Layer that onto something like Skull & Bones, and we have a winner.

Outside of the d20 arena, I think "The Riddle of Steel" does a pretty darn good job of balancing plausibility and playability.

Krieg

First Post
Regarding the last two posts, I purposely limited my choices to games that were standalone (excluding the minor limitation of the D20 license) & D20 based.

That is why non-d20 games such as Harp/ROS and D20 products that are not complete games in themselves (Ken Hood) were left out.

Just hoping to see what works for folks when it comes to their own personal views on grim & gritty d20 gaming and what combinations they have come up with to fit their needs.

I have all of the products listed above & find them all worthwhile so it is definitely not a "what's better" thread.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases