Grounded or Gonzo?

Grounded or Gonzo?

A middle-ground for me as well. I want wild and strange magic items and the PCs to attempt crazy swashbuckling feats. I want players to be able to get creative with their characters. Magic should feel magical. I don't want things to lose coherence or for the PCs to be able to roll really well and be able to break reality. I don't want someone to come to my table with an Air Genasi named Airry Prodder that speaks like a surfer.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
When I play an RPG its a chance to escape from the trials and tribulations of modern day life. It's already hard enough getting through 2020 with my sanity intact, I don't want to devote my game time to a "misery simulator".

I prefer my heros to be heroic and my action to be cinematic.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I wish I had more time to play both and everything in between. My current campaign is borderline gonzo: Rappan Athuk, the killer kitchen sink mega-dungeon homage to old-school play. My first DnD campaign when 5e came out was more grounded--for a DnD game.

But really, to get full gonzo or full grounded experiences, I would look outside of DnD.

Yet...while I run and play other systems, they usually are only one-shots or mini-campains. My DnD campaigns are the ones that run for years. DnD just has the right mix of chocolate in my peanut butter.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I live in grounded. I live in a world where the bad guys win ALL THE TIME. I live in a world where people are constantly looking backward to the comfort of conformity and not toward progress and the possibility of the fantastical. So the only question that I ask myself is: Why would I want to do all of the above...FOR FUN?

Yeah, NO.
Same reason that I don't want to play games in historical settings. That's not fun for me. AT. ALL.

Give me grounded, any day of the week. I'd rather spend my mental energy on dealing with the goings-on within the world, than on trying to understand how the world works in the first place.

That doesn't mean "grounded" in reality, necessarily. A game can be grounded in the fundamentals of the fantasy genre, or in some other well-established setting. The point is just that it provides a stable place to stand, that I don't have to spend energy on understanding.

Davies

Legend
Grounded. As with adding humor to a setting, it's not necessary to be too gonzo; the players will come up with enough weirdness without your help.

Remove ads