• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GSL is up

Andur

First Post
Interesting tidbits:

Websites currently not covered, will be a "fan version" for later, which may cover them.

No referencing page numbers due to repagination possibilities.

No redefining terms, including alternative ability score generations.

No for profit products until 1 Oct. 2008, free can be released 5 minutes ago. (Hint Hint Clark)

SRD has a very detailed list of precisely what can reappear from the core books in 3rd party products.

Treebore

First Post
You know, I was going to at least be willing to play 4E, but with how they are trying to control 3rd parties like that, I think I am just going to take WOTC/4E/Hasbro completely off of my radar.

RPG's have always had a sense of community to me, this GSL certainly sounds like WOTC wants to be the bully on the block. I don't hang out with bullies. I'll wait until the 3rd party publishers say how this GSL allows WOTC to control their business plans, but if its as controlling as it reads to me, Goodbye WOTC and all future D&D editions made by them. :(

Mengu

First Post
I guess not too surprisingly, Beholder is not in the SRD. The lack of Drow was a bit surprising as dark elves have been in popular fantasy culture for so long and have been widely used. Full list of monsters missing from the list, and therefore can't appear in 3rd party products:

[sblock]
Beholder
Cambion
Displacer Beast
Dracolich
Dragonspawn
Drider
Drow
Flameskull
Githyanki
Githzerai
Hook Horror
Kruthik
Kuo-toa
Mind Flayer
Orcus
Otyugh
Owlbear
Sahuagin
Shadar-kai
Shifter
Slaad
Umberhulk
Warforged
Yuan-Ti
[/sblock]

spunky_mutters

First Post
Treebore said:
You know, I was going to at least be willing to play 4E, but with how they are trying to control 3rd parties like that, I think I am just going to take WOTC/4E/Hasbro completely off of my radar.

RPG's have always had a sense of community to me, this GSL certainly sounds like WOTC wants to be the bully on the block. I don't hang out with bullies. I'll wait until the 3rd party publishers say how this GSL allows WOTC to control their business plans, but if its as controlling as it reads to me, Goodbye WOTC and all future D&D editions made by them. :(

It's a contract to both use their toys, and put their logo on your product. In this case the restrictiveness means a couple of things.

1. All the wahoo engine stuff like M&M, Spycraft, True20, etc. will still be the purview of the OGL crowd.
2. This is about getting support for D&D, with products focused on D&D in a way that is very compatible with the D&D game. That's why the term usage is enforced, and the product lines can't cross streams.
3. We don't know if the license to come will be as focused, but for modern, or more of a catch-all, but without the D&D logo.

I think you might be reacting a little strongly considering what is actually contained in the documents.

Cassandra

First Post
Andur said:
No for profit products until 1 Oct. 2008, free can be released 5 minutes ago. (Hint Hint Clark)
The October 1 date had already been announced. Releasing free products would be affected by section 1, which (paraphrasing here) says that the license takes effect for a particular company 14 days after Wizards has received the Statement of Acceptance from that company. It seems that the earliest free products could be released would be 14 days from tomorrow, or July 2.

burntgerbil

Explorer
Guys - I work in publishing - they have a right to protect their intellectual property. The language is very generous compared to some legal braintangles I have seen. I think the very fact they are advertising this to the public shows how they want to promote this new edition.

You also need to keep in mind that our beloved gamemakers are not the same ones who made this document - odds are it was drafted either by WOTC legal or even worse - Hasbro legal.

EDIT : Dont some 3rd party devs have 4e stuff due to be handed out at free RPG day this weekend ?

Obryn

Hero
It's pretty much exactly what everyone's been saying it would be - from Scott Rouse on down.

I can't see getting up in arms about it. It's only restrictive in comparison with the OGL. Had this emerged for 3e, it would have been hailed as a massive development.

They want third-party products to enhance D&D, not do their own thing. I mean, they're opening up most of their IP to third parties, so those third parties can make money without giving any back to WotC.

At any rate, before tonight, you could...

(1) Publish 3e materials under the OGL, and
(2) Publish other games and materials under the OGL.

Today (well, 10/1 anyways), you can

(1) Publish 3e materials under the OGL, and
(2) Publish other games and materials under the OGL, and
(3) Publish 4e materials under the GSL so long as you follow the terms of keeping your product lines separate.

It's a whole added option.

Don't get me wrong - I think the OGL has produced some outstanding games and supplements. I hope it still produces outstanding games & supplements. And - here's the big one - as long as third party companies continue to want to do so, the OGL will continue to produce outstanding games & supplements.

The sky's not falling.

-O

Sashi

First Post
This really does look a lot less restrictive than it could have been. It looks like they're trying to give as free a reign as possible to adventure writers, while also preventing things like those "pocket SRD"'s and alternate player's handbooks.

It even looks like you'll be able to create new classes, feats, and the like, you just won't be able to reprint combat rules and things.

What I'm wondering is ... are you allowed to make an adventure using the Bugbear strangler, but advanced to be level 24 (Bugbear lyncher?). The SRD and GSL say that you can use the default strangler and reference it, it also says that you can make creatures out of templates. But can you alter a creature and put that in your adventure? It looks like the answer is "probably".

Treebore

First Post
I hope the optimism is correct, but the language certainly can be interpreted in a very restrictive manner. Onerously so.

I thought there was to be an FAQ? Is one done up yet, and if so where is it? I haven't found it yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads