GSL questions for Scott Rouse and Mike Lescault

Orcus

First Post
I dont often talk about my personal life. Its not that relevant. But I want to make something clear because I think alot of people discount the views of the third party publishers because we have a self interest. We want the license so we can make products. Sure, that is true to some degree with all publishers. But in my case, I dont really care so much about that.

Necro is a hobby for me. I am a fan of D&D first. If Necro closed its doors tomorrow, I would hate to see that, but it really wouldnt impact me financially. I love running Necro, but I am not financially dependant on it. It feeds my ability to buy guitars, actually :) I am an attorney. I make comfortable six figure income and a big house and all the trimmings. I dont say that stuff to be a tool, or to brag or anything like that or to pretend I am better than anyone else. I'm not, I'm a gamer just like everyone here. I say it only to say, dont dismiss my motives because I am a publisher and stand to profit from the license. Any money I make from Necro is pure gravy. Necro is not my livelihood.

My goal is this: I want D&D to last. I want D&D to be there when my daughter goes to college (13 years from now). I want her to be able to waste hours of her education exploring ruined castles like I did.

So please, if you read my comments and say "yeah, yeah, another publisher crying because they dont have the license. They just are mad cause they cant make money." That just isnt the motivation for me. I am seriously interested in 4E being a success, because if it isnt the Dungeons and Dragons brand is in trouble. And I dont want that.

It pains me because I see such a clear and easy solution to this problem and I try telling people but I dont know if it is doing any good.

Orcus

First Post
DM_Jeff said:
Because that was Peter Adkison and Ryan Dancey, talking there, good sir.

-DM Jeff

Nope. Check some of the pages. Linae signed off on at least one of them. Their current people have signed off on this stuff.

Goblinoid Games

First Post
Orcus said:
IMy goal is this: I want D&D to last. I want D&D to be there when my daughter goes to college (13 years from now). I want her to be able to waste hours of her education exploring ruined castles like I did.

So are you in love with the brand name, or the style of game? They aren't the same. The brand name may become something very different than what you cut your teeth on. The "game" will remain, though, whatever it might be called. Why don't you have her explore castles using the same game you did, probably AD&D or OD&D?

Dark Mistress

First Post
Not to speak for Clark, but I would guess it is a combination of the two. For example I like what is called Pony cars, mustangs specificly. While you can get a camaro and others to have a similar experience, they are just not the same.

Goblinoid Games

First Post
Dark Mistress said:
Not to speak for Clark, but I would guess it is a combination of the two. For example I like what is called Pony cars, mustangs specificly. While you can get a camaro and others to have a similar experience, they are just not the same.

Yeah, I understand. It's something like trying to squeeze a "first edition feel" out of a game that is very different from 1st edition. I always wonder why if the 1st edition feel is so important people don't just play 1st edition.

xechnao

First Post
Goblinoid Games said:
It's something like trying to squeeze a "first edition feel" out of a game that is very different from 1st edition. I always wonder why if the 1st edition feel is so important people don't just play 1st edition.

It is a message saying you get something even better of the current conditions in every way you directly interpret it.

xechnao

First Post
Goblinoid Games said:

"New edition" sounds like we give you the improvements you need. "Old edition feel" sounds like we actively put and keep something else you need too.

Thus what we give you is something better than the old edition and also has to be better than the new edition.

It is marketing speech.

Orcus

First Post
xechnao, you seem cool, but I never really know what you are saying :) I'm sorry if it always seems like I am busting on you, I'm not. I just dont get it.

Orcus

First Post
Dark Mistress said:

Yeah, well, you spoke for me pretty well.

Look, D&D has always grown and evolved. There have been things with every edition I didnt like and other parts that were great. I think 4E will be no different.

Remove ads