GSL questions for Scott Rouse and Mike Lescault

Nellisir

Hero
Orcus said:
It also appears that the GSL will have a provision that if you use the GSL you may not use the OGL ever again and if you do you lose the right to use the GSL.
Pramas said:
That would be...interesting.

No kidding. That'd be...I dunno. Words fail me. I'm sure someone else will say something in a few minutes or so, though.

catsclaw227

First Post
Orcus said:
No miniatures
No interactive games
No applying effects of XP
No character creation
No violation of certain standards
Etc.

Does this mean that online and software tools like DMGenie, RPGExplorer, or NPCDesigner are not possible with the GSL? I'd love to be able to make an online DM Aid like DM Genie for 4th edition.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
catsclaw227 said:
Does this mean that online and software tools like DMGenie, RPGExplorer, or NPCDesigner are not possible with the GSL? I'd love to be able to make an online DM Aid like DM Genie for 4th edition.

So far as we're aware of, that's the case - you can't legally make (and sell) a program that has any aspects of creating a character. That makes sense, since WotC wants people to turn to the D&DI for that.

Bear in mind, that's just my understanding based on what's been said so far. I could be completely wrong when all's said and done.

HyrumOWC

First Post
Orcus said:
It also appears that the GSL will have a provision that if you use the GSL you may not use the OGL ever again and if you do you lose the right to use the GSL.

Wow.

If that's true, that might be the nail in the coffin for me and 4e. I like some of what I've seen, and I don't like a lot of it, but with the announcement yesterday I've started brainstorming ideas but if the above ends up being true I'll have to rethink those ideas.

Hyrum.

Orcus

First Post
catsclaw227 said:

We dont know yet. But based on Scott's comment that [paraphrasing] the same kinds of products could be made as were possible under the STL, I am guessing that means that if those things didnt work with a d20 logo, they wont work with the GSL.

AZRogue

First Post
Nellisir said:
No kidding. That'd be...I dunno. Words fail me. I'm sure someone else will say something in a few minutes or so, though.

I'm not a 3rd party publisher and I don't play 3.5 anymore, so this doesn't effect me that much, but I will say that, if true, it would be kind of sad.

Still, I can understand the restriction, if it does in fact exist. I see it as a move to push forward and to limit the remnants of the old system still taking up "shelf" space. I can't say I like it, but I understand it and it isn't a deal breaker for me in any way.

Still, I sympathize for those publishers for whom this could end up being a deal breaker. It makes an easy decision into a much more difficult one. Some companies, I'm sure, will decide to delay any transition (once again, if this turns out to be true) until they see how successful 4E is and how the 3E market is impacted. Understandable, but it would have been nice to see the floodgates opened and the products all lined up for me that much sooner.

But I will wait and see what happens. My faith-meter has been pegging at 9000 rpms since the announcement so this isn't slowing me down. :) I have faith in the people who pulled this off and am more curious than really concerned.

Vigilance

Explorer
BryonD said:
I'm glad to hear that. (about the games, not about your mom :p )

Actually, backstock will pretty much decide the issue.

If it's a question of discontinuing all OGL backstock, then the decision is easy.

If it's a question of choosing between supporting the OGL or 4e going forward, that would be heartbreaking.

Remove ads