GSL questions for Scott Rouse and Mike Lescault

Admiral Caine

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Some geeks on the internet were arguing in an uncivil fashion?

Dear God, what has Scott Rouse wrought.

Well, I can take comfort in that the instinct to resort to cheap shots, sarcasm, and basic immaturity is not confined to just one community.

I understand. It's easier to make fun of me, rather than think of others, think of communities, and the industry as a whole. You can give yourself a little self-esteem checkmark for having walked over somebody else today.

Scott Rouse wasn't blamed for anything. Nevertheless, the GSL is months late. That's a fact, and the delay is hard on people and the industry.

EDIT: I changed my mind Wulf, don't worry about, it's okay.

You just don't know any better.

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Admiral Caine said:
Well, I can take comfort in that the instinct to resort to cheap shots, sarcasm, and basic immaturity is not confined to just one community.

I understand. It's easier to make fun of me, rather than think of others, think of communities, and the industry as a whole. You can give yourself a little self-esteem checkmark for having walked over somebody else today.

Scott Rouse wasn't blamed for anything. Nevertheless, the GSL is months late. That's a fact, and the delay is hard on people and the industry.

EDIT: I changed my mind Wulf, don't worry about, it's okay.

You just don't know any better.

Well thank you for sparing me any further overwrought drama with your reply. I like totally can't read it at all.

Admiral Caine

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Well thank you for sparing me any further overwrought drama with your reply. I like totally can't read it at all.

:lol:

I concede the point, Sir. You got me. :) You got irritated for just a few moments. Score one for you.

So, I'll desist with throwing barbs back and forth. The only thing I find curious is that you felt the need to come and say something sarcastic. My post didn't just disinterest you, it bothered you. Enough that you felt the need to take it down a notch.

What was that?

4th Edition was not spoken of disparagingly.
I actually said Scott Rouse wasn't personally responsible. You may have to read the previous posts, but personally blaming him has never been a theme here.

Assuming you've followed the whole thread and not just this morning's post, you don't see that 3rd Party companies are having a hard time with lost sales, confused customers, and a market turning in itself without the GSL?

Yeah, maybe I was melodramatic, but I was sincere. If we strip away my drama, do you still think the delay is harmless?

And maybe by asking I'm just feeding a troll, but here's your chance. Do you have anything serious to say on the topic?

Orcus

First Post
AC-

I'll admit I'm a little disappointed.

You brought me over to this thread to add my comments. I did. Now I feel a bit sucked in.

That last post of yours, with the melodramatic link to the Paizo board, is just over the top.

I've said what I need to say here. I believe in WotC and Scott and Linae. I'm not going to get sucked into this any further.

Clark

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Admiral Caine said:
Yeah, maybe I was melodramatic, but I was sincere. If we strip away my drama, do you still think the delay is harmless?

No, the delay is not harmless.

But you went from rational yesterday to "Won't somebody please think of the community!?" today.

As if the angst about a new edition has escaped WoTCs notice; as if they could do anything about it if they cared.

And maybe by asking I'm just feeding a troll, but here's your chance. Do you have anything serious to say on the topic?

No, the question is, will you go back to being serious about the topic?

I am not the troll here. You crapped in your own thread.

Dalvyn

First Post
Melodrama on the one hand ...

Sarcasm/snide/condescending remarks on the other hand ...

Is the first one really more condemnable than the second?

If the melodrama annoys you, I think it's easy enough to just ignore it. I actually find it easier to ignore a melodramatic answer than a sarcastic one, since the first one is not aimed at hurting or at ridiculing.

Granted, the Paizo thread is just one small example. Granted, there is no need to go all dramatic over it. Yet, it's a symptom of a clear division in the community. The main topic of this thread remains valid, and the questions about the GSL are still worth asking.

Dropping out of this thread because of that one post or derailing the thread into "boohoo, you're overly melodramatic; let me laugh at you instead of discussing the main topic" seems like a waste to me: it's like getting rid of the baby along with the bathing water (or whatever the correct expression is).

Can we go back to the original topic/questions and avoid the sniping at each other's chosen words?

Disenchanter

First Post
Orcus said:
AC-

I'll admit I'm a little disappointed.

You brought me over to this thread to add my comments. I did. Now I feel a bit sucked in.

That last post of yours, with the melodramatic link to the Paizo board, is just over the top.

I've said what I need to say here. I believe in WotC and Scott and Linae. I'm not going to get sucked into this any further.

Clark

It is just proof that even the most civil of people can fall victim to their passions from time to time.

It happens to the best of people, it happens more often to the worst of people.

I do not fault Orcus' opinion, nor do I hold it against him. I would extend the same attitude to all that feel similarly.

I would ask that you not let the last couple of posts by Admiral Caine to color your opinion of his earlier posts in this thread and others. Admiral Caine has gone to great lengths to present his points in a dispassionate manner, so they can be viewed as is rather than as he wants them to be viewed.

Orcus

First Post
I'll reconsider my position, based on your post.

But you have to remember, I'm not just a poster named Orcus. I am the president of a company--a company that happens to do business with Paizo. So I dont just represent me, I represent my company. I'm happy to join in the GSL discussion. It is an interesting discussion. But I get vary wary of being a part of a discussion that seems to be critical of people I like and do business with. I felt, also, like I was being sucked into an agenda. I got in this thread because I thought it was a good, balanced discussion of the GSL issues that were outstanding and that it was done without the drama and BS that accompanies such discussions these days. I also thought the recent posts derailed that. But I'm willing to believe that perhaps that is not the norm for AC. I'm willing to extend that benefit of the doubt. Everyone is human. Everyone gets upset or frustrated. I understand that.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Clark - how would you characterize the last 7 years of the OGL? (From your own perspecive first, and then from WotC's point of view, do you see it as a success on the whole?) And, if you were in WotC's shoes, how would you frame the OGL/GSL going forward?

Last edited:

Admiral Caine

First Post
Orcus said:
I'll reconsider my position, based on your post.

But you have to remember, I'm not just a poster named Orcus. I am the president of a company--a company that happens to do business with Paizo. So I dont just represent me, I represent my company. I'm happy to join in the GSL discussion. It is an interesting discussion. But I get vary wary of being a part of a discussion that seems to be critical of people I like and do business with. I felt, also, like I was being sucked into an agenda. I got in this thread because I thought it was a good, balanced discussion of the GSL issues that were outstanding and that it was done without the drama and BS that accompanies such discussions these days. I also thought the recent posts derailed that. But I'm willing to believe that perhaps that is not the norm for AC. I'm willing to extend that benefit of the doubt. Everyone is human. Everyone gets upset or frustrated. I understand that.

Fair enough Clark.

If I had a time machine, I'd delete that post as an unwise and ill considered decision. Unfortunately there is enough attention to it already that it's a matter of public record.. so I'm stuck with it and the disappointment it might have engendered.

It was emotional. So on some level I believed what I was saying. I didn't fake the emotion, I only allowed it to get the best of me.

I accept however that productive conversation can not take place where emotions are what is being debated, or discussed. Emotions are subjective

Nevertheless, I'm stuck with what I wrote, and I do regret it. And that is meant as apology- I'm just trying not to be too melodramatic in doing that as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases