GSL & software support for 3rd party publications

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Charwoman Gene said:
FWIW, these are almost verbatim from the current D20 STL, which PCGen fell under at least at one point.
If you are talking about Scott's post describing the restrictions (post #3), they are verbatim from the current d20 STL. Scott was not showcasing the new GSL, just pointing out similarities.

kingpaul

First Post
Lizard said:
Remember, PCGen, HeroLab, etc, are all OGL products; they don't use the STL, for good reason.
Actually, PCGen was d20 STL compliant for a while, but we dropped it so we could offer the random roller again.

TMK, Herol Lab does follow the d20 STL.

Lizard

Explorer
kingpaul said:
Actually, PCGen was d20 STL compliant for a while, but we dropped it so we could offer the random roller again.

TMK, Herol Lab does follow the d20 STL.

I suspect WOTC will be more stringent about enforcement of the GSL. :)

There were quite a few "D20" games which violated the STL in several ways, from character creation rules to changing the meaning of defined terms, which were never 'dinged' by WOTC. The only exception I can think of is the use of Drawmij and other non-open terms by FFE.

ruemere

Adventurer
To Scott Rouse:

Thank you for replying.

I'm not entirely happy with the answer I have received, BUT I have noticed a way for a PcGen to coexist with d20 STL license.

Available activities (and one limitation):
1. Character generation limited to manual input of information.
2. Import of information from files allowed.
3. Adjustment of character information via interfaces is allowed.
4. Export of information to files is allowed.
5. No graphic presentations of characters, in-game items or effects.

That way, both #1 and #2 are avoided. There are also no interactive game elements or miniature references.
• Describe a process for Creating a Character
• Describe a process for Applying the Effects of Experience to a Character

Ok, I think that should suffice.

Regards,
Ruemere

dinelendarkstar

First Post
So does this new news also mean that the the HeroForges and PC Gens have to stop making or distrubting their 3.5 Character gens, if they plan on making a 4.0 gen? The new rules say you can't do both.

ruemere

Adventurer
dinelendarkstar said:
So does this new news also mean that the the HeroForges and PC Gens have to stop making or distrubting their 3.5 Character gens, if they plan on making a 4.0 gen? The new rules say you can't do both.
Not really. PcGen is (quoting from http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/01_overview.php) "...open source RPG character generator", so, as permitted under Open Source, there is nothing to stop people behind the software from:

1. Forming a new company.
2. Forking PcGen code, calling it PcGen4E, and applying necessary modifications.

It's Open Source, so you can share the code while maintaining two different products.
Of course, if there is no sufficient following, there may be no such application.

As I said previously, I will judge 4E books on their own merits, however, campaigning (and subsequently supporting it beyond the core rulebooks) will depend on both quality of 4E settings and availability of electronic campaign management application similar to PcGen (I admit that my publishing skills are low, so I prefer something like that to support my players). I'd like to say also, that eye-candy 3D and online-only applications are no-no for me while PcGen easily modifiable source material files, despite numerous problems, were the reasons I helped with coding some of Scarred Lands thingies.

Unfortunately, WWGS pulled the plug on SL (in more than one way), my spare time grew shorter due to personal reasons and so I had to limit myself to supporting my campaign material only.

Regards,
Ruemere

Trainz

Explorer
Mr. Rouse, I would like you to expand on what you mean by the following:

No Covered Product may be an "Interactive Game" as defined in this Guide.

See my sig for my particular interest on that point... ;)

Imban

First Post
Trainz said:

While there is an official answer already posted, currently extant virtual tabletops like OpenRPG and MapTool, which provide the exact same sort of functionality the 4e game table will provide, do not need to be distributed under any license from WotC.

"Making battle maps that are divided into square grids" and "online chat room / battle map software suitable for nearly any purpose", while they're both quite capable of being used with D&D, don't really fall into the province of things that need to be licensed from WotC any more than makers of physical tables, gridded wet-erase battlemats, and the makers of (insert any fantasy miniatures wargame other than DDM here) need to license anything from Wizards of the Coast.

Trainz

Explorer
Thank you Mr. Rouse and Imban for those clarifications. I'd rather err on the side of caution and ask a stupid question than the alternative.

Remove ads