Guardians of Order's death-a confirmation

Ian Sturrock

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Sorry to hear it... does that mean you can still use that material for other products/other companies in the future? It'd be a shame for it to just be lost.

It's pretty setting-specific, unfortunately, but bits of it might be useable in a more generic "Baroque Science Fantasy d20" release I suppose.

Dragonbait

Explorer
From one piece of good new to another. This sucks.
I remember buying the very first BESM book (after their Sailor Moon rules came out), and the several rule revisions. I loved their system(s) and writing style. I also liked how easy it was to alter and add to the system. They liked their game. I even started using the Tekumel rules that I found on the GoO website. Damn damn damn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turjan

Explorer
Ian Sturrock said:
I was really looking forward to seeing it come out too -- not just because I'd written it, and was hoping to get paid for my ten weeks of work on it, but also because I genuinely felt it had some top-notch material in it that could have brought the Tekumel setting to a wider audience than it previously enjoyed. Ah, well....
But Tékumel is not owned by GoO, which means, there might be some chance that your work will get relatively unharmed out of that fiasco. The last thing I heard was that the owners are looking for a new publisher at the moment. No word of the d20 version, though.

Enforcer

Explorer
I too am sad that the maker of the superlative A Game of Thrones RPG has closed its doors. This is one of the truly great gaming products of all time. And boy am I glad I got the #0009 signed deluxe book from GoO's ebay auction.

But, I am annoyed that Mark MacKinnon took a shot at George R.R. Martin for spilling the beans. I'm sorry, but in my opinion Mr. Martin did the right thing by resolving several months of customer frustration, especially considering that the frustration revolved around a license of his intellectual property. And besides, it's not like everyone and their mother didn't see the writing on the wall...

Anyways, what's done is done. I wish Mark the best of luck, but I still want my AGoT GM Screen.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Ian Sturrock said:
I was really looking forward to seeing it come out too -- not just because I'd written it, and was hoping to get paid for my ten weeks of work on it, but also because I genuinely felt it had some top-notch material in it that could have brought the Tekumel setting to a wider audience than it previously enjoyed. Ah, well....

That really bites. Every time it seems like Tekumel has a chance to really break out, something gets in the way.

Banshee16

First Post
Streamweaver said:
I too hope GRRM lets things go forward as an RPG. Personally I think the AGoT system doesn't have much hope of being picked up as a system or making much more money as is. The product has had it's release and first run so the lion share of money from that particular form has been made. I think commercially it would make more sense for some to take the setting materials and merg it witn another system. If they were to use the written material for the setting published in the book and adapt it to a True20 version or something I think it has better potential of generating money than someone just buying it up and trying to publish expansions. I can't really see this happening either though. Green Ronin is already in a world of hurt as are many other publishers.

I think that merging it with another system, and re-releasing it could completely backfire. Personally, I like this OGL adaptation a lot......it's a far better match for AGOT than the Dragon magazine articles for instance. It would lose its "hook" if they watered it down, IMO.

Banshee

Ranger REG

Explorer
Enforcer said:
But, I am annoyed that Mark MacKinnon took a shot at George R.R. Martin for spilling the beans. I'm sorry, but in my opinion Mr. Martin did the right thing by resolving several months of customer frustration, especially considering that the frustration revolved around a license of his intellectual property. And besides, it's not like everyone and their mother didn't see the writing on the wall...
Yeah, but isn't that like your mother (whom you thought you told in confidence) telling your fiancee that you don't want to get married, when YOU should be the one to do it.

I'm not saying that Mr. Martin didn't give Mark the courtesy to make the announcement in public. He just leaked it out, like Mr. Rove.

Ian Sturrock

First Post
No, it's more like a distant relative of yours confiding to your fiancee that you're already married to three different women in different towns, none of whom know about each other. It's still up to the fiancee to decide whether to call the cops, or just call the marriage off.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Ian Sturrock said:
No, it's more like a distant relative of yours confiding to your fiancee that you're already married to three different women in different towns, none of whom know about each other. It's still up to the fiancee to decide whether to call the cops, or just call the marriage off.
So, Mr. Martin is pissed off at Mark and leaked the info out of spite?

Ian Sturrock

First Post
Ah -- I didn't mean to imply that, no. I presume that Mr Martin's motives were to ensure his fans got the most up-to-date news he had as to GoO's current situation. A side effect of that news (intentional or not) is that said fans are likely to be somewhat wary of buying from a company that's closing down.

Mark's closure of the GoO forums does mean though that there isn't really much of a strong warning against buying stuff directly from GoO any more -- all the threads about people paying for product and not having it shipped to them are gone, now.

Remove ads