Guardians of Order's death-a confirmation

OptionalRule

Adventurer
Banshee16 said:
I think that merging it with another system, and re-releasing it could completely backfire. Personally, I like this OGL adaptation a lot......it's a far better match for AGOT than the Dragon magazine articles for instance. It would lose its "hook" if they watered it down, IMO.

Banshee

I can see your point and it could be true, but really it depends on the kind of sales already seen with the product. Although it's been said to be good, we don't really know what that means. Are they good enough that someone else could pick up the product and either re-release to a bevy of new sales or release an expansion that could sell well enough? All this a year or two down the road? I seriously doubt it, but it is possible.

I'm biased though because I appear to be one of the few people who actually think the system itself was not very good. I think the production value of the book, the writing, background material, art and all the rest was fantastic and I'd even say it's a very good book overall, I think the actual system adaptation was terrible. I've had the opportunity to both play and run the system for a number of sessions and it just didn't play well. The DR rules, bypassing armor, fatigue and all that looked great to me on paper but when played out was very boring and anti-climactic. Most fights came down to who fell over first from fatigue after rounds of swing and miss or swing and no effect, which works great for a narrative in the book but is rather sad at the table. Furthermore most of the rules for accuracy or bypassing armor basically could be brushed aside if you just used power attack. Anytime a single feat makes what is suppose to be a central part of the rules flavor of the game invalid, I think there's a problem with the system.

So in my opinion if they want AGoT to actually be a viable game product instead of a collectors oddity, it needs a new system (new OGL adaptation or whatever). One that should maintain the gritty feel of AGoT of course, but a new one none the less.

Securing it as a viable gaming product is the only way I think this is going to make anyone any money, if games even do that in the first place.

Last edited:

JustaPlayer

First Post
From the look of a thread on the Mongoose boards, it does indeed appear as if they are trying to pick up the Game of Thrones RPG. It looks like they are willing to settle GoO dept with Martin but are having an extremely hard time getting hold of Mark.

It has been thus speculated that this is the "holy grail" of RPGs they had once alluded to picking up.

I hope something comes of it. I was very happy with the d20 version, though the AGoT book would be a very tough act to follow.

OptionalRule

Adventurer
JustaPlayer said:
From the look of a thread on the Mongoose boards, it does indeed appear as if they are trying to pick up the Game of Thrones RPG. It looks like they are willing to settle GoO dept with Martin but are having an extremely hard time getting hold of Mark.

It has been thus speculated that this is the "holy grail" of RPGs they had once alluded to picking up.

I hope something comes of it. I was very happy with the d20 version, though the AGoT book would be a very tough act to follow.

I saw Matthew from Mongoose talking about a possible 'rescue package' offer and not being able to contact Mark from Guardians but the mention was over Tri-Stat and I saw no mention of AGoT. Could you link the thread that seemed to suggested someting about AGoT if there is another?

As to the other bit, I honestly can't believe anyone would refer to AGoT as the "holy grail" of RPGs in any resonable fasion. If they do think that, and it wasn't tounge in cheek, I don't see how such an unrealistic view of a product is going to help them develop well for it.

sfgiants

First Post
Hey all, all this has reminded me that I still need to pick up the AGoT rpg. When I went to Amazon there were a ton of books litsed. What do I want?

mcrow

Explorer
Teflon Billy said:
A Game of Thrones
Ex Machina
The Authority
BESM
Tekumel
Silver Age Sentinels
Dreaming Cities

They've had a lot of seriously cool products

These are all great prouducts and I own all of them (minus BESM). Really, GOO had some of the best writing, layout, and Art in their books of any small publisher. It's a real shame that the company tanked. All of the above games I would play any given time. Tri-stat is great system to.

JustaPlayer

First Post
Streamweaver said:
I saw Matthew from Mongoose talking about a possible 'rescue package' offer and not being able to contact Mark from Guardians but the mention was over Tri-Stat and I saw no mention of AGoT. Could you link the thread that seemed to suggested someting about AGoT if there is another?

As to the other bit, I honestly can't believe anyone would refer to AGoT as the "holy grail" of RPGs in any resonable fasion. If they do think that, and it wasn't tounge in cheek, I don't see how such an unrealistic view of a product is going to help them develop well for it.
Well, the thread started out as Tri-stat. Here's the link.
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18478

At a point in the tread a poster writes:
Grrm also seems rather unwilling to liscense of the system again unless a studio is willing to take over goo's debts as well.
To which Matt responds:
We might actually consider making that offer, and said as much to someone with a vested interest who contacted us. Heard nothing back though. . .
But in regards to the Tri-stat system, it reads as if they already have rights to that.

Edit: as to the "holy grail", it is my belief that they are trying to pick up Lord of the Rings since Decipher hasn't done nything with it in quite a while.

Banshee16

First Post
JustaPlayer said:
Well, the thread started out as Tri-stat. Here's the link.
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18478

Edit: as to the "holy grail", it is my belief that they are trying to pick up Lord of the Rings since Decipher hasn't done nything with it in quite a while.

This is what I've suspected for a while. How many other "holy grails" could there be? It's the biggest fantasy license around. But I thought that Decipher wants to hold onto the license, as it includes the license to make the trading cards, even though they're just wasting the RPG license.

Mongoose seems to have done a good job with Conan....and been able to profit by it, as they're printing more books. They could be a reliable company to do it.

I would not want to see True 20 AGOT. The system seems interesting, but not a good fit, from what I understand.

Banshee

Maester Luwin

First Post
This is sad news indeed. I am not saying Mark could not have handled the situation better but it is still sad when someone who has allowed me to have so much fun with their games loses their job & business. I will keep him in my thoughts & prayers. Thanks Maester Luwin

Last edited:

Remove ads