D&D Movie/TV Guess the D&D Movie Opening Weekend Box Office Performance, and Win a Prize!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
-----
Note: HAT's budget was $45 million
-----
Are you sure? I ask because that is what IMDB says the budget was for the D&D movie in 2000 and a LOT of the "reporting" around this film seems to be just including the $45M budget as if it were Honor Among Thieves budget. I can't find a reputable source that has actual budget numbers for Honor Among Thieves.

Edit: For context, the Chris Pine movie "The Contractor" from last year supposedly had a budget of $50M. I haven't seen that movie, but given the trailer if a movie like that costs $50M to make I can't believe that a VFX heavy film like Honor Among Thieves seems to be would cost anywhere in the same ballpark. (And not just computer effects - hair, makeup, costumes all have to be so much more expensive for a movie like Honor Among Thieves than for a movie set in the present day with only humans running around).

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I worry I guessed too low...if I had it to do all over again, I would have guessed about 6M higher. Ah well, I'm not really playing to win.

For the record: if I actually do win, I will forfeit the prize and give it to the runner-up. This contest is for y'all.

OB1

Jedi Master
Are you sure? I ask because that is what IMDB says the budget was for the D&D movie in 2000 and a LOT of the "reporting" around this film seems to be just including the $45M budget as if it were Honor Among Thieves budget. I can't find a reputable source that has actual budget numbers for Honor Among Thieves.

Edit: For context, the Chris Pine movie "The Contractor" from last year supposedly had a budget of $50M. I haven't seen that movie, but given the trailer if a movie like that costs $50M to make I can't believe that a VFX heavy film like Honor Among Thieves seems to be would cost anywhere in the same ballpark. (And not just computer effects - hair, makeup, costumes all have to be so much more expensive for a movie like Honor Among Thieves than for a movie set in the present day with only humans running around).
Yeah, I'd guess DaD:HAT's budget is at least in the $100-120M range (similar to the budget of Bumblebee and Sonic 2, two effects heavy movies also from Paramount). But between Michelle Rodriguez, Chris Pine and Hugh Grant, it could easily add another $20-30M to that. Add in at least a $50M marketing budget, and the film likely needs to gross around $400M worldwide to break even.

Birmy

Adventurer
With Shazam out 2 weeks prior, and John Wick out the week prior, I'll go with 22,500,000
John Wick 4 is out the week before and Super Mario Bros. is out less than a week later, so even if it turns out to be good, I'm afraid it might get lost in the new release shuffle. 😬 It may have to settle for second place, and maybe hope for some longevity bopping around the middle of the Top 10 for the duration of its theatrical release? Hurm.

I'll guess $19.1 million opening.

Remove ads