D&D 5E [GUIDE] Arrive on Time - A General Guide to Wizardry

TheBigHouse

Explorer
I guess my point is that I believe there is still a place for a two level Fighter dip for AC and Action Surge in a typical Wizard build. The balance of trading some high level spell slots and Signature Spell for these benefits hasn't changed with the addition of the new cantrips, which simply work better with EK's and AT's (and just barely bladesingers).

I agree.

I think I missed you specifying "melee wizard" and your last paragraph... I think we're having a heated agreement.

Oh we are? Well! :rant: lol

TheBigHouse

Explorer
I can still see plenty of reasonable low Int wizard builds.

magic missile, fog cloud, cloud of dagger, greater invisibility, haste, fly, teleport, polymorph (friendly) force cage, foresight, ect... none require Int.
And most of the 1/2 damage ones don't lose too much either.

You mostly just lose out on the save-or-suck spells like hold person or mass suggestion. Which is a reasonable trade-off.

I'm confused, what do you gain by doing this?

jgsugden

Legend
The enchanter likely deserves an upgrade. Hypnotic gaze is an at - will ability that can incapacitate and reduce speed to zero for a round - and is sustainable. It also feeds in a charm effect to interrogate foes. At low levels, when most wizards run out of spells and are relegated to firebolt, you're still locking down powerful enemies. As you advance and have more spells than you can really use, some of those spells make it easy to avoid the disadvantages of the ability...which leaves you with a lot of hold monster equivalents. The other abilities are also very useful. From a role playing perspective, enchantment is also very fun.

TheBigHouse

Explorer
The enchanter likely deserves an upgrade. Hypnotic gaze is an at - will ability that can incapacitate and reduce speed to zero for a round - and is sustainable. It also feeds in a charm effect to interrogate foes. At low levels, when most wizards run out of spells and are relegated to firebolt, you're still locking down powerful enemies. As you advance and have more spells than you can really use, some of those spells make it easy to avoid the disadvantages of the ability...which leaves you with a lot of hold monster equivalents. The other abilities are also very useful. From a role playing perspective, enchantment is also very fun.

Thanks for the reply!

I agree that enchanter is good, and I agree with your comments. However, I think that dark blue is accurate: "Blue is a good choice. It definitely helps your character in the majority of cases."

I have chosen skyblue for bladesinging and abjuration because they shore up the wizard's primary weakness: survivability. To be honest with bladesinging out now, abjuration might be dark blue as well, unless you can abuse alarm between fights, but I'm not sure.

Diviniation allows you to break the game's core mechanic, dice rolling. As a player, by choosing when to use your high roll or low roll, you can affect the most important rolls of the day. That makes it very powerful.

While Enchantment has a number of very useful features, I don't see it as being quite as universally useful as the three sky blue schools. But I'm always open to further discussion!

Thanks for the reply!

I agree that enchanter is good, and I agree with your comments. However, I think that dark blue is accurate: "Blue is a good choice. It definitely helps your character in the majority of cases."

I have chosen skyblue for bladesinging and abjuration because they shore up the wizard's primary weakness: survivability. To be honest with bladesinging out now, abjuration might be dark blue as well, unless you can abuse alarm between fights, but I'm not sure.

Diviniation allows you to break the game's core mechanic, dice rolling. As a player, by choosing when to use your high roll or low roll, you can affect the most important rolls of the day. That makes it very powerful.

While Enchantment has a number of very useful features, I don't see it as being quite as universally useful as the three sky blue schools. But I'm always open to further discussion!
Wizard survivability is already quite good if you just take a single level of Fighter or Life Cleric for plate armor proficiency. Bladesinging offers nothing that wizards couldn't get through multiclassing.

BTW, Enchanters are also a lot more fun if you put them in plate armor and let them mix it up on the front lines with Instinctive Charm and Hypnotic Gaze. Life Cleric 1/Enchanter X FTW. Only downside is that at high level your Instinctive Charm will be fighting your Spell Mastery (Shield) for your reaction, so you may want Spell Mastery (Unseen Servant) or some other proactive spell instead.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases