D&D 5E [GUIDE] NADRIGOL's Melee Bladesinger Guide

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I'm here again. My main char still alive, so I can think about my (backup char) Bladesinger free. What about Monk Kensei to dip? Fighting with one hand sword, and second for martial art and casting. If I use BA for MA attack I'l gett +2 AC for my next turn (as i get shield to hand, but without penalize bladesingign)

The Kensei dip is something I am planning for my bladesinger. I think it is a solid idea both mechanically and flavorwise (dedicated weapon using wizard meets dedicated weapon using monk). Also, the unarmored defense boost to AC will help as well.

delph

Explorer
The Kensei dip is something I am planning for my bladesinger. I think it is a solid idea both mechanically and flavorwise (dedicated weapon using wizard meets dedicated weapon using monk). Also, the unarmored defense boost to AC will help as well.
Unarmored defense doesn't work with mage armor and mage armor give much better AC, than AC from unarmored defense

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Unarmored defense doesn't work with mage armor and mage armor give much better AC, than AC from unarmored defense
Oh yeah, sorry that was a house-rule we implemented a LONG time ago. Since Mage Armor is just a protective force that surrounds you we decided it shouldn't interfere with unarmored defense.

Also, even without that, mage armor is base AC 13 and my WIS 14 would give me a AC 12+ anyway without the spell slot and 24-hours a day, not only 8. If your WIS isn't great, then sure you get no benefit likely.

But, for me with the house-rule and WIS 14, it is a +2 to AC. :)

delph

Explorer
Oh yeah, sorry that was a house-rule we implemented a LONG time ago. Since Mage Armor is just a protective force that surrounds you we decided it shouldn't interfere with unarmored defense.

Also, even without that, mage armor is base AC 13 and my WIS 14 would give me a AC 12+ anyway without the spell slot and 24-hours a day, not only 8. If your WIS isn't great, then sure you get no benefit likely.

But, for me with the house-rule and WIS 14, it is a +2 to AC. :)
It's my idea too, but GM play with official rules. And if you have high wisdom, it's useable, but get high DEX+INT doesn't left space for high WIS (only if you have dice rolled stats and have luck)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It's my idea too, but GM play with official rules. And if you have high wisdom, it's useable, but get high DEX+INT doesn't left space for high WIS (only if you have dice rolled stats and have luck)
In this case we did roll and I was lucky so things are looking up for me. ;)

But even with a point-build, you could have at least a +1 or +2 WIS bonus. Which is helpful for when you don't have mage armor active (like night encounters or something...).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
@delph :

Also, the increased movement and ki abilities for dashing, dodging, etc. can be very useful, as is the +10 movement. And nothing like adding a bonus action unarmed strike for d4+DEX damage. :)

To me a nice thing also is with kensei, longswords become monk weapons and you can use your DEX for attack and damage rolls.

Yeah, it won't be until level 5 (Wizard 2/ Monk 3) that my character starts to really show what he can do.

delph

Explorer
@delph :

Also, the increased movement and ki abilities for dashing, dodging, etc. can be very useful, as is the +10 movement. And nothing like adding a bonus action unarmed strike for d4+DEX damage. :)

To me a nice thing also is with kensei, longswords become monk weapons and you can use your DEX for attack and damage rolls.

Yeah, it won't be until level 5 (Wizard 2/ Monk 3) that my character starts to really show what he can do.
and bladesinging add next +10 movement (if I remember it right) and yes - dex longsword is good point. and few ki points, but useable per short rest.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
and bladesinging add next +10 movement (if I remember it right) and yes - dex longsword is good point. and few ki points, but useable per short rest.
Yeah, it is a pretty sick combo. Add Mobility at level for for speed 60 when in bladesong. With our house-rule for mage armor, and my good rolls, I will have an AC 25 (13 + 4 DEX + 4 INT + 2 WIS + 2 Kensei Agile Parry when attacking) when in bladesong at level 5. An AC 30 with Shield spell LOL!

Esker

Hero
In this case we did roll and I was lucky so things are looking up for me. ;)

But even with a point-build, you could have at least a +1 or +2 WIS bonus. Which is helpful for when you don't have mage armor active (like night encounters or something...).

Bladesingers get light armor proficiency though, so it doesn't really give you any better than studded leather...

Esker

Hero
With our house-rule for mage armor, and my good rolls, I will have an AC 25 (13 + 4 DEX + 4 INT + 2 WIS + 2 Kensei Agile Parry when attacking) when in bladesong at level 5. An AC 30 with Shield spell LOL!

This is a good illustration of why the rule exists that you can't use two different AC formulas on top of each other. It's odd to me that you were so worried about how expertise interacted with bounded accuracy but you don't mind throwing out bounded accuracy when it comes to AC calculations.

Also if you want to use agile parry you have to give up at least one of your normal weapon attacks for a punch since it requires the unarmed strike to be part of the attack action -- the monk bonus action unarmed strike doesn't qualify. Not a huge cost once you have extra attack, since you're just trading a d8 for a d4, but it's something.

Remove ads