D&D 5E [GUIDE] Power Overwhelming: A Sorcerer Guide

If you are playing by the single-roll interpretation, the added damage from spell bombardment gets added to every dart. The average rises from 3.5 to 4.125. If you use empowered spell to reroll 1s, you push the average dart damage to 4.66. if you reroll 1s and 2s, 4.94. If you reroll 1s, 2s, and 3s, 4.97.

I just roughed those numbers out, so they could be inaccurate, but the point is that spell bombardment interacts in a weird (and beneficial) way with magic missile, such that it competes with scorching ray (without greater invisibility) and lightning bolt in low- and mid-level slots. Against high-level enemies with legendary resistance and/or spell reflection, magic missile can be the best option.

Fritzo

First Post
Oh cool, like rolling 2d4 per missile then. Sounds sort of like a design oversight though, but a weirdly satisfying one.

Last edited:

famousringo

First Post
Oh cool, like rolling 2d4 per missile then. Sounds sort of like a design oversight though, but a weirdly satisfying one.
Not really a design oversight so much as a boneheaded rule interpretation. I don't think anybody in decades of DnD ever rolled a single d4 for multiple magic missiles until Crawford made that ruling.

But yeah, if the evoker gets to have cheese, I guess the wild mage gets to have cheese whiz.

I like the practical effect, that it makes magic missile relevant again, but I agree that it's a weird way to run things.

Needless to say, if your DM has you roll each dart separately, spell bombardment hardly does anything special for magic missile.

Last edited:

Aramalian

Explorer
Just a quick mention that the Storm Sorcery Origin, while moving from UA to publication, lost its bonus Spells Known. My guess would be that the Favored Soul will, too.

gyor

Legend
Just a quick mention that the Storm Sorcery Origin, while moving from UA to publication, lost its bonus Spells Known. My guess would be that the Favored Soul will, too.

Given the latest Sorceror UA you guessed right!!!

A new Favoured Soul that is no longer overpowered, far more balanced, and actually feels a lot more like a divine spell caster. I miss the wings how ever, but I love Blessed Counterance.

There is also Stone, Phoenix, and Sea sorceries.

Reina Lauren

First Post
A new Favoured Soul that is no longer overpowered, far more balanced, and actually feels a lot more like a divine spell caster. I miss the wings how ever, but I love Blessed Counterance.

Though the longer spell list doesn't help when it comes to choosing what spells to have. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best spells to pick from the favored soul extended spell list for a a) buffing b) debuffing?

If it helps at all with suggestions, I'm in a party of 3: swashbuckler rogue, grapple/rage barbarian, and myself. All halflings because why not? ^^

Last edited:

Emberkahn

First Post
Hey Everyone!
Big fan of this guide btw.
Question: What is the source for favoured soul subclass? Also has its abilities been changed?
I've been looking online and have found about 50 different ones which is seriously confusing.
Any help with this would be seriously appreciated.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases