D&D 5E [Guide] The Gentleman’s Guide to Proper Barbarism

JellMoo

First Post
Wow. I'm the original author of this guide on the WotC forums. A combo of real life happenings and my D&D group falling apart lead to me pretty much abandoning the guide a ways back. Imagine my surprise when I thought to check it out, only to find that the entirety of the WotC forums were gone.

A huge thank you to Mistwell for transferring this over here! An amazing job done keeping these guides alive and well!

When I wrote this guide, so much was really theoretical. The DMG wasn't out, and actual play experience was very limited. I was drawn to the Barbarian simply because it felt so much more well rounded than previous editions. A fair amount of the info here is almost certainly outdated, and actual play experience has probably proven some good chunks of it as being wrong (or at the very least, not quite as sure as it was when I originally wrote it). It was never really intended as something for pure CharOp, but mostly as a primer to help people newer to the game to avoid certain traps, and give some ideas to what the class could do.

Motorskills

Explorer
Wow. I'm the original author of this guide on the WotC forums. A combo of real life happenings and my D&D group falling apart lead to me pretty much abandoning the guide a ways back. Imagine my surprise when I thought to check it out, only to find that the entirety of the WotC forums were gone.

A huge thank you to Mistwell for transferring this over here! An amazing job done keeping these guides alive and well!

When I wrote this guide, so much was really theoretical. The DMG wasn't out, and actual play experience was very limited. I was drawn to the Barbarian simply because it felt so much more well rounded than previous editions. A fair amount of the info here is almost certainly outdated, and actual play experience has probably proven some good chunks of it as being wrong (or at the very least, not quite as sure as it was when I originally wrote it). It was never really intended as something for pure CharOp, but mostly as a primer to help people newer to the game to avoid certain traps, and give some ideas to what the class could do.

I think we'd all appreciate a real update, utilising all the collected wisdom to date. :)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
This guide is unfortunately out of date. Lots of new content since the initial PHB that isn't covered.

This was rescued from the closing the the WotC forums and has no maintainer. If you look at the guide wiki stickied in the forum there are three other barbarian guides.

We're always looking for more informed, passionate posters to replace the static and outdated guides with updated ones that include the newer options and will continue to grow as new information comes out. Maybe you want to step up to either help out an active guide or make a new one.

Standard human is not half bad as barbarian.

16 Str.
14 dex
15 con
9 int
13 wis
11 cha

Are great stats for a barbarian, even with standard array.

If you do point buy,
Str 16
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 13
Cha 12
Don't look half bad.

As a barbarian you can need any stat except maybe int. But it does not hurt either.
Con 14 is a bit lower than optimized, but to be really better than medium armor, dex and con need to be a lot higher actually. You only notice the lack of high con at level 16. And even then chances are high that you find magic armor. And if you take feats, stick with medium armor till the end.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Standard human is not half bad as barbarian.

16 Str.
14 dex
15 con
9 int
13 wis
11 cha

Are great stats for a barbarian, even with standard array.

If you do point buy,
Str 16
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 13
Cha 12
Don't look half bad.

As a barbarian you can need any stat except maybe int. But it does not hurt either.
Con 14 is a bit lower than optimized, but to be really better than medium armor, dex and con need to be a lot higher actually. You only notice the lack of high con at level 16. And even then chances are high that you find magic armor. And if you take feats, stick with medium armor till the end.

I agree, but then in general I think standard human gets a short stick. I think variant human is so good that people don't even consider standard human any more - it would get more attention if it had a completely different name.

Frankie1969

Adventurer
We're always looking for more informed, passionate posters to replace the static and outdated guides with updated ones that include the newer options and will continue to grow as new information comes out. Maybe you want to step up to either help out an active guide or make a new one.
Challenge accepted. I'll post an updated version this weekend.

Update: How to Win Fights and Intimidate People

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases