D&D 5E [GUIDE] The Sorlock – Guide to the tormented divine soul with Xanathar's Divine Soul(17)+Hexblade(3) [Updated 12/20/21]

Revaros

First Post
Can Scorching Ray be quickened to two casts, though? Doesn't that break the "You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action" rule in PHB p.202

Last edited:

Revaros

First Post
Assuming you can't, and the quicken is to put out an EB:

At level 5 (practical):
Scorching Ray + EB + Hex + HexCurse + 2xAgonizing Blast = 6d6+2d10+5d6+15+10 = 74/75

vs

EB x2 + Hex + HexCurse + 4xAgonizing Blast = 4d10+4d6+12+20 = 68

The main issue is you're spending spell points AND spell slots, at least doubling your use of resources to get that extra 6-7 average damage in a round.

Last edited:

Avernum

First Post
Assuming you can't, and the quicken is to put out an EB:

At level 5 (practical):
Scorching Ray + EB + Hex + HexCurse + 2xAgonizing Blast = 6d6+2d10+5d6+15+10 = 74/75

vs

EB x2 + Hex + HexCurse + 4xAgonizing Blast = 4d10+4d6+12+20 = 68

The main issue is you're spending spell points AND spell slots, at least doubling your use of resources to get that extra 6-7 average damage in a round.

You using a character at level 5? Why? Obviously this build isn't meant for low level optimization. There are infinitely better spell selections at level 5.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
You can't get Wish period because it requires Sorc level 17 at a minimum to access level 9 spell slots. Warlock is NOT considered a spellcasting class and does not benefit from the multiclass spell slot table.

You would only get up to level 5 spells slots going 9 sorc/9 warlock/2 fighter. You need a minimum of level 17 in sorc to access lvl 9 spells.

You either have to choose action surge or Wish.
That's what I meant. You can choose to have Wish at level 19+, or you can have Action Surge to cast two levelled spells from level... 8? +.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Avernum

First Post
That's what I meant. You can choose to have Wish at level 19+, or you can have Action Surge to cast two levelled spells from level... 8? +.

Yeah but with Wish you can use it to summon a Simulacrum which can also do hex, curse, and scorching rays. If your group is a consistent group that will play a long time then it is not worth dipping for action surge.

Revaros

First Post
What level do you want?

My point would still be the same, if you're planning on shooting a 9th level Scorching Ray and quickening an EB you're still burning resources at a very high rate.

At level 20:
Scorching Ray lvl9 + EB + Hex + HexCurse + 4xAgonizing Blast =10d6+4d10+14d6+84+20 = 210

EB x2 + Hex + HexCurse + 8xAgonizing Blast = 8d10+8d6+48+40 = 160

Is 50 extra dmg worth a 9th level slot...? good question. It's a battle of expending resources for quick dmg vs consistent high dmg without huge expenditure.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
What level do you want?

My point would still be the same, if you're planning on shooting a 9th level Scorching Ray and quickening an EB you're still burning resources at a very high rate.

At level 20:
Scorching Ray lvl9 + EB + Hex + HexCurse + 4xAgonizing Blast =10d6+4d10+14d6+84+20 = 210

EB x2 + Hex + HexCurse + 8xAgonizing Blast = 8d10+8d6+48+40 = 160

Is 50 extra dmg worth a 9th level slot...? good question. It's a battle of expending resources for quick dmg vs consistent high dmg without huge expenditure.
Considering a non-dead enemy means more attacks against you, more chance to escape, etc. ...

Revaros

First Post
Considering a non-dead enemy means more attacks against you, more chance to escape, etc. ...

Certainly. And if there is a big bad there, pour EVERYTHING at him. But if we're talking about an everyday campaign set of encounters, then blowing your 9th level slot quicky just to one-shot that purple worm (etc), and only be able to get it back over tactful short rests trading warlock slots for spell points for sorcerer slots.

Burning so many resources so quickly is a big risk.

Avernum

First Post
Certainly. And if there is a big bad there, pour EVERYTHING at him. But if we're talking about an everyday campaign set of encounters, then blowing your 9th level slot quicky just to one-shot that purple worm (etc), and only be able to get it back over tactful short rests trading warlock slots for spell points for sorcerer slots.

Burning so many resources so quickly is a big risk.

Nobody is advocating always using that setup. It is nice to have the option. OBVIOUSLY you would use common sense in judging when it is good to double EB or EB + Scorching Ray.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
No-one's Quickening a EB (or a Scorching Ray, which it'd have to be). You can't use curse then.

You use your bonus action to curse them, your action to cast a spell, action surge and use your action to cast a spell.

And the numbers I listed only used level 5 slots- the ones you get back every short rest with a more even split.

Remove ads