• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gunslinger?

the Jester

Legend
Has anyone made a gunslinger type class for 4e?

Guns exist in my campaign, though rarely; but their presence got me to thinking about the idea of a gunslinger base class... martial, prolly a striker... but I haven't actually done anything to work on it or anything.

Anyone else?

Mentat55

First Post
Would a whole new class be required? Perhaps tweaking the archery ranger or ranged rogue powers? I guess you'd probably want to change the class abilities, but hunter's quarry would be a pretty good Deadeye Shot ability.

Couple that with Prime Shot, and maybe the rogue's First Strike (a sort of Quick Draw ability) -- I think that would be a reasonable start.

Here is a 4E conversion of the gunmage class from the Iron Kingdoms campaign setting. More arcane than perhaps what you want, but it might provide some good material.

the Jester

Legend
Here is a 4E conversion of the gunmage class from the Iron Kingdoms campaign setting. More arcane than perhaps what you want, but it might provide some good material.

I already made a "gun mage" paragon path for the wizard in my Davis-based campaign.

I'm thinking that a new base class might not be necessary, but it would be cool. Especially given the flavor of guns in my campaign...

Gunpowder doesn't exist; guns work with sunpowder, which is made from sunlight that is first distilled into a volatile liquid. The old (LG) sun god's priests knew how to make the liquid sunlight, but only once they converted a groups of militant orcs to his worship did anyone take the next step- and they kept the secret to themselves. So most gunslingers would be orcs (or half-orcs, for pcs?).

Also, the mechanic that sets guns apart from crossbows and other missile weapons imc is that, when you shoot a gun, it fills the square you're in with a cloud of smoke, granting concealment until the end of your next turn.

A lot of the reason I'm thinking about doing this is to try out creating my own base class, which I haven't yet taken a crack at.

Remove ads