Gygax: Beasts of Legend books, anything unique to the books?

aboyd

Explorer
Hey all. I've just ordered a signed copy of Beasts of Legend (Cheap! Only $11 from Troll & Toad!) as well as a non-signed copy of [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gary-Gygaxs-More-Beasts-Legend/dp/1929474717/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347332524&sr=1-7]More Beasts of Legend[/ame]. These were the two monster books that Gary Gygax wrote for his Lejendary Adventures game, which was published by Troll Lord Games.

My question is, are any of the monsters unique? Or at least, are any of the monsters not available in official D&D sourcebooks? If there are some neat, Gygax-only inventions, would you mind highlighting a few? What was an interesting monster that I might look forward to? Why should I look at it?

Also, if I were to consider converting a handful of the monsters over to a D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder style game, which 2 or 3 monsters would you say are prime for it? Which ones make sense for a Greyhawk-ish world full of magic, demons, monsters, and mercenaries?

Corathon

First Post
There are new monsters in both books. Just going by memory, there are the demoniacal hybrids, a couple of varieties of nasty elf (only one of which was kind of drow-like), some fairies, some sort of gliding baboon things, the noose drakes, and many more.

I really can't speak to the question of what would be good to convert to 3e, as I don't play that game.

Remove ads