Gygax in the Wild: Look What I Found in a Little Free Library

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Found this today in the Little Free Library outside the B&B I'm staying at, on the Oregon Coast. Anybody ever read it? There's...a lot going on here, judging this book by its cover.
20220114_132344.jpg

20220114_132736.jpg

Sacrosanct

Legend
There are a ton of free libraries here in Oregon, but I never get that lucky lol. I hope you enjoy it here! I don't know where you're at, but Manzanita is my favorite beach. The exit off of 101 is a little hard to see, because you don't see the beach when you take it to head into Manzanita proper.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So I'm a few dozen pages in, and it's really not good. I'm trying to like it, I really am, but....

...well, the main character is a faux-Egyptian ("Ægyptian") magistrate, named Setne Inhetep. The lady on the cover is his "Amazonian warrior-princess" bodyguard. They solve crimes and mysteries together.

I think it's supposed to be a fantasy interpretation of a pulp noir crime novel. Like "The Dresden Files," as written by Gary Gygax.

Davies

Legend
So I'm a few dozen pages in, and it's really not good. I'm trying to like it, I really am, but....

...well, the main character is a faux-Egyptian ("Ægyptian") magistrate, named Setne Inhetep. The lady on the cover is his "Amazonian warrior-princess" bodyguard. They solve crimes and mysteries together.

I think it's supposed to be a fantasy interpretation of a pulp noir crime novel. Like "The Dresden Files," as written by Gary Gygax.
Yep, he wrote three of these set in the Ærth setting he created for Dangerous Journeys, plus a fourth that was published posthumously. They're really only of interest to those who want to get deep into that setting.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Yep, he wrote three of these set in the Ærth setting he created for Dangerous Journeys, plus a fourth that was published posthumously. They're really only of interest to those who want to get deep into that setting.

There's been a copy of that book sitting on the shelf at my FLGS since probably back when the book was new... I read the Gord the Rogue novels as they came out and liked them a lot, but I must have looked at that one thirty times or more over the past thirty years and always decided not to buy it. I even read about twenty pages of it, and then decided it wasn't something I was interested in. In my opinion it wasn't one of the G-Man's better works...

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
She looks a bit miffed someone's made off with her clothes.
Of course she is miffed there is a whipping wind blowing judging from her hair and the trailing tail/skirt is stuck on something so she cannot get out of the wind. It is probably raining also.
She is having a bad day.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
And a giant boatfish wants to make a snack out of her. That cover looks a little risque for a little library. Maybe not, I was of the impression they're mainly for children. Though, I'm all for subverting America's youth. đź‘Ť

Remove ads