Gygax in the Wild: Look What I Found in a Little Free Library

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
There are other editions with different cover art, but yeah the author displays the usual racist, misogynist attitudes of the era in a magickal Aegytian detective story full of bland exposition and the convoluted Heka-mechanics of Dangerous Journeys.
Its okay for what it is and might inspire some adventure ideas

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Well, I have returned it to the wild, where it can find its way to another reader. It's currently at the Little Free Library on Nye Beach, in Newport OR if you want to be the next to read it.

I wasn't able to finish it...I had to stop reading at the part where the 18-year old "child" (the author's word, not mine), whom our protagonist had rescued the day earlier, danced into the room. Then she got embarrassed and quickly left when she discovered our protagonist wasn't alone.

"She was of course, naked." -direct quote from the book.

Apparently 18-year old damsels in distress are perfectly comfortable being naked around the guy who rescued them from kidnappers just the night before, but not around a different complete stranger.

Anyway, it's exactly what you would imagine for a Gary Gygax fantasy novel of the late 1980s/early 1990s. If that sounds like your jam, you should pick it up.

Last edited:

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I read the whole series. I was very interested in the Mythus setting and thus I found the "original" trilogy entertaining, if not especially well written. However, I found the posthumous one rather terrible.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases