Gygax Magazine? [UPDATE 3 - Electric Boogaloo]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And in the initial confusion nobody even knew that the Gygax guys had anything to do with it.

That's something a lot of people seem to be losing sight of - applying restrospective knowledge in hindsight. All we had at first was "Gygax Magazine from TSR - Give Us Your Email Addy!" and scepticism was sensible position to take. Most everybody was pleased to find out the Gygaxes were involved.

Those who are suggesting someone accused the Gygax boys of a scam are not paying attention. The most common consensus is "I'm glad to hear it wasn't somebody abusing the Gygax's good name as it looked at first that it might be; I'll wait see what this magazine is like".

Last edited:

DMofDoom

Villager
Comment about trolls was not directed at all posters, though could have been worded better, was/is aimed at then-future replies. And maybe towards snarky redirective arguments, especially citing things like the meta layout of a post (1/2 j/k).
Well, you're certainly angrier than any participant in this thread, or any of the involved parties, I'll give you that much. More so than the issue might warrant, IMO, but your emotions are your emotions, I guess. And you certainly have more of a handle on the italic and bold and underline tags than anyone else, so I'll congratulate you on that (slacking a little on the CAPS though).

However - and this is your first post, I see - please refrain from insulting other EN World members. If you're unclear as to the rules of the site, you can find them here. This includes calling other members "trolls" and phrases like "I couldn't give a cup of piss about your opinions". Any questions abut that, feel free to email me.
Use of mod voice to belittle my opinion is fair, as you are the owner, (cred given for not auto-deleting thing you dislike though)
My anger was not directed (though may have spilled over a bit) at you or those skeptical of a strange email notification website.

What I found angering was things like this: (emphasis added)
Meh.

As an outside observer and potential consumer, I find the attempt to grab customers by playing on an inferred relationship using the names "Gygax" and "TSR" to be misleading and offensive. I'll pass, thanks.

They did get me to post, though, so score one for publicity.

I wonder how people would feel if WotC had kept the TSR name, hired luke as a consultant and put out the exact same mag.... money grab would be the nicest thing anyone would say.

I feel like this is still a scam, and hope they change the name...
And to a much lesser extent those that seem to think those assertions do not exist, and assume everything is in response to their own posts like: (again emphasis added)
That's something a lot of people seem to be losing sight of - applying restrospective knowledge in hindsight. All we had at first was "Gygax Magazine from TSR - Give Us Your Email Addy!" and scepticism was sensible position to take. Most everybody was pleased to find out the Gygaxes were involved.

Those who are suggesting someone accused the Gygax boys of a scam are not paying attention. The most common consensus is "I'm glad to hear it wasn't somebody abusing the Gygax's good name as it looked at first that it might be; I'll wait see what this magazine is like".

In way of a communications disconnect on my part I suppose for not quoting these (2nd and 3rd) to begin with.

I feel it is very important also to point out that the plural form of Gygax, is Gygaxi.

Gail also has rights here. WotC might have something to say. And in the initial confusion nobody even knew that the Gygax guys had anything to do with it. The situation wasn't and isn't as simple as you seem to assume.

Yes she has rights, thats between them though isn't it? I suppose idle speculation is harmless though perhaps pointless IMHO. As to the initial confusion: the 2nd and 3rd quotes are from 15 pages into the thread. Well after their participation was established.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Lawyer here but don't know IP stuff. Didnt all the rights etc owned by TSR get sold to WotC. so I don't understand how someone can claim to copyright the words TSR and link them to OSR stuff?
Didn't someone up-thread note that (for whatever reason) WotC has in effect abandoned the TSR trademark, or something like that?

'Cause if they have abandoned it, it sounds like anyone who wants it can step in and take it; and in this instance someone has.

Lan-"for it is the stuff of lawyers, and thus confusing"-efan

Nellisir

Hero
my bad, 14 pages in, not 15

Dude, trust me, you're really going to need to chill out a bit. Take a deep breath, relax, and read a different thread for awhile or something. Watch something soothing. And then give people the benefit of the doubt.

Having your first post be an angry one, and calling out Morrus on your second post...it's not a good way to win friends and impress people.

I'm not a moderator, just some friendly advice.

DMofDoom

Villager
That bit was humour. I do think it sounds cooler though. Just try using it more. English is a living language after all... but ok, I'll go chill. or actually go do homework due tonight.

Nellisir

Hero
That bit was humour. I do think it sounds cooler though. Just try using it more. English is a living language after all... but ok, I'll go chill. or actually go do homework due tonight.
:confused:
That...totally did not read as humor. Glad to hear it, though! :)

And yeah, go do your homework and I'll do mine. (Caernarfon Castle as a sustainable structure. Upside: Caernarfon Castle and King Edward "Longshanks" I. Downside: due midday tomorrow.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases