• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Voidrunner Hacking in the Voidrunner’s Codex

The Voidrunner's Codex brings sci-fi to your 5E and A5E games!

The Voidrunner's Codex brings sci-fi to your 5E and A5E games!

IMG_3488.jpeg

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I like the emphasis on tool use. The base 5e ruleset really doesn't give enough love to tools, so I'm glad Level Up has been changing that.
It's one of those things I go back and forth on in my head. My knee-jerk reaction is "you know how to do things, not just use tools" but then I think about how tool use is deeply attached to skill and knowledge. Like, hacking means knowing how computers and their security systems work, but also how to employ hardware and software to successfully hack. No matter how good a hacker you are, you can't do it without some sort of computer.

So it's weird.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Computers are also a tool type. Just like there are different artisans tools etc there are various computer related or engineering tools.
Sure, but at the same time computer use seems like a thing that is broader than just hacking so I might have done Tech: Computers (Int) and hacking a trained only use of the skill. But I guess 5E doesn't really do "trained only" skill uses.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure, but at the same time computer use seems like a thing that is broader than just hacking so I might have done Tech: Computers (Int) and hacking a trained only use of the skill. But I guess 5E doesn't really do "trained only" skill uses.
I think you’re discussing a different game. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads