Half-Dragon wings

Although I know this was discussed at least once on the old boards I don't remember the answer, and of course the old information is (for all intents and purposes) gone.

It states in the MM, under the Half-Dragon template, that the creature must be Large to have wings. Are they talking about the parent dragon needing to have been a Large when it 'participated' in the making of the Half-Dragon (which seems damned silly), or that the Half-Dragon itself must be a Large creature? I suspect the later.

Would it sound reasonable to you to let a Medium sized creature to have wings, with say a 1-step reduction in speed when flying? I've more or less done this anyhow, as it was the reason she wanted to take the template in the first place.

I know what some of you will reply with, but she didn't want to be a demon/angle half-breed, she wanted Dragon Wings :rolleyes: Oh what some of us will do to appease our players.

Hatchling Dragon

kreynolds

First Post
I still won't allow functional wings unless you are large. I don't wanna mess with the ECL of the template. If the wings won't actually let you fly, I don't have a problem with it. The ability to fly is really powerful and can throw all sorts of wrenches into a game. That and I would hate to clip my player's wings. :)

Last edited:

Xarlen

First Post
I have Two PCs with this template (Twins), and I really don't think wings would make them uberpowerful.

The Rogue/sor hasn't come into the game yet, but she's more dangerous up close.

The monk, well, he nearly died the first combat he was really in (CHarging into the thick of things for the enemy cleric is Not Good from AoO's). He was reduced to 6.

Infact, the monk having wings would've given more of a roleplaying aspect (His sister would have been envious), then any real tactical advantage.

I'm still trying to take it a little easy on the players, and the (17 tommorrow) teen playing the character in question isn't really interested in the munchiness of the HD template, she's in it for the flying and 'really cool looking wings' deal.

Just as an FYI: She's a Half-Dragon(Bronze)/Drow Druidess, 1st level of course. I was worried about her overpowerfullness but we just played our 2nd session in the Forge of Fury and she was actually pretty even with the rest in terms of power. I forgot to limit her flying to 1/2 base movement, but that didn't matter much anyhow.

For those interested she had two shining moments: firstly when the Cleric, paniced by the Cause Fear from the Orc Adept, ran onto and promptly fell off the rope bridge in his attempt to get away (after sucking-up an AoO from the Ogre); and then when she tossed her Entangle near the end of the combat, to prevent the bad guys from closing with the remainde of the party.

Now, if they hadn't just barged right in after seeing that the entire Orc Tribe (12+ Orcs, 2 big wolfs, an Ogre, and a caster-type) was waiting for them in the 'main room' of the Orc Complex. That damned Paladin, being played Lawful Stupid to the (nearly) bitter end. :rolleyes:

Hatchling Dragon

Remove ads