Half-Elf (Eladrin) Variant as per SCAG?

Yaarel

He Mage
No, I don't think half eladrin would even exist story wise. If the High Elves, the most arrogant race in the prime material plane think their arrogant, what makes you think humans even have a chance with them. Second, half elves should never have trance. Trance should strictly be an elf ability. Simply because trance ties into the whole life death and rebirth of elven souls. Half elves don't have elven souls. They have human souls which is why they need to sleep. I don't like the side bar of the half-soul theory, because if that was the case, every half elf born, means another elf soul is doomed to never see Arvandor again. But of course it's your game, do what you want.

It depends on setting.

I see the fey elves as fun-loving hedonistic artists of magic. Any flavor of arrogance gets in the way of that sense of an innocent romantic seducer.

Heh, the hedonism definitely includes the possibility of a half eladrin.

i_dont_meta

Explorer
Is this all a reaction to MToF, or all of the pre-conceived notions based on established lore?? I mean, doesn't the Eladrin deserve the same Half-Elf capabilities of all the OTHER Half-Elf Variants?? Why blow up THIS bridge??

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Is this all a reaction to MToF, or all of the pre-conceived notions based on established lore?? I mean, doesn't the Eladrin deserve the same Half-Elf capabilities of all the OTHER Half-Elf Variants?? Why blow up THIS bridge??

Some people take the game a little too seriously to the point that they will shoot down any idea that they don't agree with. I've probably been one of those people, but in general, I try to be one of the "This sounds cool, do it!" kind of people.

neogod22

Explorer
Some people take the game a little too seriously to the point that they will shoot down any idea that they don't agree with. I've probably been one of those people, but in general, I try to be one of the "This sounds cool, do it!" kind of people.
I just don't like the variant half elf idea of the Blade Effect. All of the benefits with none of the weaknesses. I also like the lore of the game so I try and stay within that. When I give my option, I never say "you can't do this or that" I always say "that's not what I would do"

neogod22

Explorer
I just don't like the variant half elf idea of the Blade Effect. All of the benefits with none of the weaknesses. I also like the lore of the game so I try and stay within that. When I give my option, I never say "you can't do this or that" I always say "that's not what I would do"
Opinion * I hate that spell check changes my words

Carlsen Chris

Explorer
No, I don't think half eladrin would even exist story wise. If the High Elves, the most arrogant race in the prime material plane think their arrogant, what makes you think humans even have a chance with them. Second, half elves should never have trance. Trance should strictly be an elf ability. Simply because trance ties into the whole life death and rebirth of elven souls. Half elves don't have elven souls. They have human souls which is why they need to sleep. I don't like the side bar of the half-soul theory, because if that was the case, every half elf born, means another elf soul is doomed to never see Arvandor again. But of course it's your game, do what you want.

To each their own, but I've never understood this mentality. Look at all the diversity and possibility in our world. Imagine how much more there would be in a magical one.

neogod22

Explorer
To each their own, but I've never understood this mentality. Look at all the diversity and possibility in our world. Imagine how much more there would be in a magical one.
I don't follow. How does making half elves superior to full elves create more diversity? If anything it makes me less likely to play an elf if I can choose a half elf and able to couple the superior stat bonuses as well as pick and choose which elf abilities I want to take. Like I said before, the only reason to play Eladrin is to get their racial abilities and you arguing to give them to the half-elf only reinforces my statement.

Carlsen Chris

Explorer
I don't follow. How does making half elves superior to full elves create more diversity? If anything it makes me less likely to play an elf if I can choose a half elf and able to couple the superior stat bonuses as well as pick and choose which elf abilities I want to take. Like I said before, the only reason to play Eladrin is to get their racial abilities and you arguing to give them to the half-elf only reinforces my statement.

I'm not interested in power levels. I am arguing that Half Eladrin individuals could exist.

neogod22

Explorer
I'm not interested in power levels. I am arguing that Half Eladrin individuals could exist.
Ok in your case, playing a simple half elf and saying you're half Eladrin should suffice, but the point of the thread was to play a half elf variant and give them eladrin powers, which I'm against. I would expect to see less half eladrin than half drow, since well the Eladrin live in n the Feywild and humans live in the prime. There just aren't many meetings or reason to cross breed. Truthfully, I like Palladium's approach to the races. Since none of them are human, they can't interbreed and create half races. I think if I were to create a world, I would use the same approach.

Remove ads