• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Elf Emissary - weirdest paragon feature

webrunner

First Post
"your bonus to Diplomacy checks from your Group Diplomacy racial trait equals your Charisma modifier"

That's worded weirdly.. *you* don't HAVE a bonus to diplomacy checks, you grant other people bonuses, but it isn't "your bonus to diplomacy checks" is it?

fissionessence

First Post
It is funny how a class called "Emissary" stands at the back and lets others speak for him since he potentially becomes the worst in the party at it.

No, they get the Charisma bonus because the emissary honeys everything the other players say. They're the main ones making rolls and trying to make points to the duke, but the bard keeps chipping in a lot, adding smooth compliments to the fighter's grunting argument to make it sound better.

So no, he's not standing back 'in-scene', he's just not making the actual rolls.

~

Regicide

Banned
Banned
No, they get the Charisma bonus because the emissary honeys everything the other players say. They're the main ones making rolls and trying to make points to the duke, but the bard keeps chipping in a lot, adding smooth compliments to the fighter's grunting argument to make it sound better.

So no, he's not standing back 'in-scene', he's just not making the actual rolls.

~

From 10 squares away? To 4 other characters simultaneously? In a language he doesn't even speak? While he's doing something else completely different himself? Is he shouting random gibberish at the top of his lungs like he has tourette syndrome and getting really lucky laying on the honey?

Don't try to describe what is going on in 4E. You can't. You just can't.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
I think skill challenges and skill DCs and even the DM screen are a pretty clear indication that WotC doesn't even touch skill checks. I'm 100% serious, 5E won't even have skills.

It is funny how a class called "Emissary" stands at the back and lets others speak for him since he potentially becomes the worst in the party at it. And "Warlords" are one of the weakest fighters... I think they need to revise how they name the leader classes. :p
From 10 squares away? To 4 other characters simultaneously? In a language he doesn't even speak? While he's doing something else completely different himself? Is he shouting random gibberish at the top of his lungs like he has tourette syndrome and getting really lucky laying on the honey?
This is a great example of the conservative thinking of D&D players. The bonuses given out by this paragon path and by thw Warlord class do not have to be passive bonuses that are there because of the fabric of the universe, they can be there because of activity by the character. Simply because one character is making a role, this does not mean that the character alone is taking the action, especially when boosted by the ability of another.

Rather than try to make it work in the actual narrative of the game, the D&D player would rather have some sort of proceedure drawn up, reducing everything to a set of properties of the universe and their relationship between each other.

It is equivalent to refusing to watch Star Trek because of the Universal Translator or the presence of humanoids throughout the galaxy (even with the canon explanation). Sure, such things are in principle impossible, but we overlook these thins because they get us to the story.

D&D players should be actively playing out these abilities, not simply letting them do the real work or role-playing.

Last edited:

Regicide

Banned
Banned
It is equivalent to refusing to watch Star Trek because of the Universal Translator or the presence of humanoids throughout the galaxy (even with the canon explanation). Sure, such things are in principle impossible, but we overlook these thins because they get us to the story.

D&D players should be actively playing out these abilities, not simply letting them do the real work or role-playing.

That makes no sense. Saying it is equivalent to Star Trek, which does NOT try to play up the universal translator is what *I* am saying, ignore it, take the plus, and go on, there is no explanation for it. That is the OPPOSITE of what you're saying to do. :hmm:

Byronic

First Post

Don't try to describe what is going on in 4E. You can't. You just can't.

I like my solution. Don't allow it. There's more then enough paragon paths. Ignore the worst of WotC's blunders and just go on.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Rock Star rolls into a club with his four buddies. None of his buddies are particularly good-looking, but because they're rolling with Rock Star, they manage to hook up with some rather attractive women even so.

I have no trouble imagining this feat in action. :p

hong

WotC's bitch

This is a very interesting campaign that you play in, where the characters routinely get into conversations with things that speak languages they don't, plus the diplomat is easily distracted, has Tourette's syndrome, and hits on everything. I would like to know more.

Byronic

First Post
This is a very interesting campaign that you play in, where the characters routinely get into conversations with things that speak languages they don't, plus the diplomat is easily distracted, has Tourette's syndrome, and hits on everything. I would like to know more.

1) Actually it's quite simple to have a language problem. All that has to happen is that someone in the party knows a language that the Bard doesn't, which is quite easy if the Bard doesn't take the language feat.

Especially if your DM chooses what language each nation speaks with a random roll of the die >.<

2) The Bard has a high Charisma and is probably a pretty boy. It's perfectly possible that the player wants to hit on things. I actually played a high Charisma character especially for that purpose.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
To be fair, that describes my campaign as well. :)

I have no problem at all with the power, though. I can think of lots of reasons for it makes sense, both in-game (the bard is tutoring the other PCs in diplomacy during their off time) and out of game (it's much more fun for the group when everyone gets to try and say witty stuff, especially when motivated by a class whose job is making other people perform better.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads