• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half Fiend Frost Giant ???

Rashak Mani

First Post
Todays NPC villain is a half fiend Frost Giant... Frost Giants are cold subtype (double damage failed save)... Half fiends have Resist Fire 20.

If he is fireballed do I take 20 out first and then make save and double damage ? Or do I fail save doubling result and then subtract 20 ? What comes "first" cold subtype or Fire Resistance ?

Sounds kind of silly a cold subtype Half Fiend... should I disregard the cold subtype ?

Axiomatic Unicorn

First Post
Gfunk is correct. Save first, then subtract resistance.

Though I would encourage you to consider tweaking the template if you want. The half-fiend template is a good default, but don't hesitate to make up your own versions.

In this case you could drop the fire resistance and add +1d6 cold damage to all melee attacks, or whatever. Figure out what kind of fiend mated with a frost giant and then decide what template that would be.

milo

First Post
Cancel out the fire resisance and the double damage from fire. I don't like typing or I might go into more depth.

gamecat

Explorer
I read something about a creature similar to this in MotP. (the shadow guardian, look in the alternate cosmologies chapter, under doppel cosmologies.)

Remove ads