Half-giant 'Powerful Build' from XPH

lkj

Hero
From the 3.5 SRD:

Inappropriately Sized Weapons: A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.
The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.

• Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.
Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.
A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

So—when determining whether a given weapon is light, one-handed, or two-handed—is the size category difference classified as a ‘penalty’?
Meaning—If my half giant wants to wield a large longsword, I can see two interpretations:

1) He must wield the weapon in two hands (as a half giant is a medium creature and therefore is one step different in size, moving the longsword from one-handed to two-handed). But he does not suffer a -2 penalty.

2) He not only doesn’t suffer a -2 penalty, he can also wield the weapon in one hand (i.e. we consider the ‘size category difference’ a ‘penalty’ and therefore not applicable to half giants due to their powerful build.

Just wondering what the general consensus was (or official interpretation).

Thanks,
AD

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
lkj said:
Just wondering what the general consensus was (or official interpretation).

Literally as written, it's number 1.

The fact that the example Half-Giant uses a Large Greatsword implies that whoever wrote it thought it was number 2.

-Hyp.

lkj

Hero
Hypersmurf said:
Literally as written, it's number 1.

The fact that the example Half-Giant uses a Large Greatsword implies that whoever wrote it thought it was number 2.

-Hyp.

Ah, I hadn't checked out the example (away from my books at the moment). I had a feeling it was something like that. I'd hoped one of the FAQ would have dealt with it. But I haven't found one yet.

Thanks for the input. Guess I'll be checking with the current DM. Not sure what I'll say for my campaigns.
From Yeoman's comment and yours, I figure that means most people interpret it as 2?

AD

Gez

First Post
So a Half-Giant with TWF can use a Medium Longsword in one hand (he's Medium so he suffers no penalties for size difference), and a Large shortsword in the other (powerfully build allows him to be considered Large so he suffers no penalties for size difference). That way he fights with a one-handed weapon and a light weapon, thus with the minimal TWF penalties.

Even if both weapons have roughly the same size, and deal about the same damage (LSS: 1d8, 19-20x2, piercing, MLS: 1d8, 19-20x2, slashing). :)

Gez

First Post
Yeah, but you wouldn't have the same Silly Factor. :)

Another Silly Factor possibility is a Large Broadsword, and a Medium Dagger.

Seeten

First Post
Its my understanding that a Half-Giant is actually a large creature, but that due to game balance, and the fact that large creatures are very powerful, and dont fit into dungeons, they made them a "Medium sized large creature" with this silly Large build stuff. It is thus my further understanding that in all things the half giant should be treated as a large creature, unless thats a penalty(Or too big a bonus, like +8 str for example) in which case, he defaults to medium.

Thusly, a large longsword is a one handed weapon, as really, the giant is large.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases