Half orc Polearm Samurai - master of multiple attacks?

dalisprime

Explorer
Tried finding a thread about this particular sub class but my search-fu failed me, so feel free to correct me/direct me to a relevant thread.
In any way, I was looking at the samurai class features: rapid strike and strength before death as well as the orcish fury and polearm master feats.
Assumption: fighter is Hasted and was granted advantage on his attacks (Foresight), he is reduced to 0 hp that round, has 20 str.

Base action: 6 attacks (one bonus attack from rapid strike giving up advantage another bonus attack from haste) + bonus action polearm master attack
Action surge: 4 attacks
Fighter gets reduced to 0 HP, uses reaction to trigger sbd gaining another turn: 6 attacks (both haste and rapid strike apply again as it's a new turn for the fighter) + bonus action polearm master attack

Total: 22 attacks that turn or 21d10 (the extra d10 coming from orcish fury) + 2d4 + 110 damage

Is there any class out there that can beat that kind of damage output? Conquest paladins are meant to have sick DPR as well, but I don't think even they can match that. This is without factoring critical hits (which are even more painful with the orcish racial) or GWF fighting style. Of those 22 attacks 20 are made with advantage as well. And since we have all that advantage, if we add the GWM feat that's another bonus of 220 damage (or 200 if you skip the damage boost on the two attacks without advantage).
So are my calculations off on this or is this one of the most broken builds out there?

Last edited:

dalisprime

Explorer
One per turn yes. Strength before Death allows the samurai to take another turn - therefore a second bonus action, a second action surge, a second hasted attack and a second rapid strike.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Tried finding a thread about this particular sub class but my search-fu failed me, so feel free to correct me/direct me to a relevant thread.
In any way, I was looking at the samurai class features: rapid strike and strength before death as well as the orcish fury and polearm master feats.
Assumption: fighter is Hasted and was granted advantage on his attacks (Foresight), he is reduced to 0 hp that round, has 20 str.

Base action: 6 attacks (one bonus attack from rapid strike giving up advantage another bonus attack from haste) + bonus action polearm master attack
Fighter gets reduced to 0 HP, uses reaction to trigger sbd gaining another turn: 6 attacks (both haste and rapid strike apply again as it's a new turn for the fighter) + bonus action polearm master attack

Total: 22 attacks that turn or 21d10 (the extra d10 coming from orcish fury) + 2d4 + 110 damage

Is there any class out there that can beat that kind of damage output? Conquest paladins are meant to have sick DPR as well, but I don't think even they can match that. This is without factoring critical hits (which are even more painful with the orcish racial) or GWF fighting style. Of those 22 attacks 20 are made with advantage as well. And since we have all that advantage, if we add the GWM feat that's another bonus of 220 damage (or 200 if you skip the damage boost on the two attacks without advantage).
So are my calculations off on this or is this one of the most broken builds out there?

Half-Orc ability reads "when you are reduced to 0 hp you are reduced to 1 instead. That instead there is an interpretative nightmare especially in conjunction with any other abilities that require you to be reduced to 0 hp.

DM's may rule that those features don't place "nice" together since the half orc ability is basically saying you really never went below 0 hp to begin with etc.

Regardless though, you don't need the half orc feature to make the basic concept work.

Thoughts, this may actually be a case where a greatsowrd instead of polearm master would do more. About 2 more damage on 20 attacks may be worth more than 2 extra attacks.

Without crits factored in the greatsword method (with 60% chance to hit before GWM) would do 258 damage over that round.

Crits might boost it to around 280 damge over that round. (Oh I think I left of the great weapon fighting technique which would add maybe 20ish more damage)

A battlemaster will do 9 attacks and 1 bonus action attack. All will have advantage. I will use precision attack on any attack that misses (average of about 4 attacks). A d12 precision attack dice will likely turn 3 of those 4 misses into hits. That means 8 attacks will hit. 1 is likely a crit. That's another 1d10+2d12 = 18.5 extra damage + 3d12 = 19.5 extra damage.

The battle Master fighter does about 200 damage in that same round assuming the same buffs.

A wizard 18 / fighter 2 with a single cast of meteor swarm forcing a failed saved causes 140 damage. Action surge for a level 8 disintegrate and you do an additional 96 when you force a failed some on it as well. (Divination Wizard). Use the haste attack to attack with a precast level 7 shadow blade for 5d8 + 5 damage = 27.5 * .6 = 16.5

Total damage he does is 252.5 and neither of the cast buff spells on him did very much(freeing up the wizard that cast foresight to instead cast a level 9 disintegrate instead of foresight and thus adding about another 100 points of damage. That's a total of 350 damage between those two characters, edging your guy with the level 9 and level 3 buff spell out.

But most importantly, why are we even considering a once per day NOVA that only triggers when you drop to 0 hp to be a good thing?

In fact why are we even considering foresight when it's arguably one of the worst level 9 wizard spells out there. Why the heck would any wizard ever want to take it?

Last edited:

My reading of the half orc and samurai abilities is they don't trigger at the same time. The first time you would be reduced to 0 the half orc ability kicks in and you are reduced to 1. The second time you are reduced to 0 the samurai ability cuts in. Although the wording does imply you can choose not to use the half orc ability if you wish.

Caliburn101

Explorer
My reading of the half orc and samurai abilities is they don't trigger at the same time. The first time you would be reduced to 0 the half orc ability kicks in and you are reduced to 1. The second time you are reduced to 0 the samurai ability cuts in. Although the wording does imply you can choose not to use the half orc ability if you wish.

Correct - except about the half orc choosing not to go to 1HP - this is automatic.

Remove ads