• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-orc racial powers

Lenaianel

First Post
In "touch of madness" adventure from Dungeon 161 we can see a few half-orc NPCs. They share 2 powers that seem to be the half-orc racial powers :

- the first one allows the character to add 1[W] to a weapon attack that hit or 1d8 dmg to a non weapon attack that hit, once per encounter.

- the second one grants a few temporary hit points when the chararter becomes bloodied for the firts time of the encounter.

both are free actions.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well if human->half elf says anything. The half elf puts its human work ethic and passion (bonus at-will) into another class (another class as an encounter) due to its elven boredom and implussiveness.

So a half human half orc would put its human work ethic and passion into its orcish love for destruction and vitality. Extra damage and THP makes perfect sense.

Vomax

First Post
Does any other race have what are essentially two encounter powers like that? They both seem like good racial abilities but I can't think of any other race that has something similar. Perhaps 'Half-Orc Resilience' is a feature more than a power since it's not used actively.

crash_beedo

First Post
Does any other race have what are essentially two encounter powers like that? They both seem like good racial abilities but I can't think of any other race that has something similar. Perhaps 'Half-Orc Resilience' is a feature more than a power since it's not used actively.

Drow get to use either Cloud of Darkness or Darkfire once per encounter. (I'm assuming the Half-Orc gets to pick one or the other).

On the other hand, lots of races get a good encounter power and a decent static effect like a feat... Bloodhunt and Infernal Wrath, for instance. Maybe the half-orc temp HP is so minor that's how it's being treated.

Half-Orcs sound like they'll be fun!

fba827

Adventurer

The half-orc NPCs could have all just have taken "the racial feats" for half-orcs which could be why there could be a second one. Of course, they are NPCs so all bets really are off... though it does hint that something similar to at least one of those will make it as the PC racial ability.

But, as an example, warforged as NPCs actually have two racial abilities in common between both stat blocks. However, only one of those actually makes it to being a racial ability for warfroged as a PC race.

Were those half-orcs classed NPCs?

Ah, it doesnt' matter. Classed NPCs don't actually get to take feats, and neither do monsters. I suspect half-orcs get both powers. People did say they were weak before.

Spatula

Explorer
Meh, I like the Advanced Player's Guide racial for half-orcs better (reroll a damage roll). Useful, simple, and it captures the nature of the character perfectly.

Remove ads