• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Half-Para-Elemental Template?

Meridian

First Post
Hello all:

Can anyone direct me to an online resource, thread or d20 gaming sourcebook that has the stats of a template modeled after the Half-Elemental Template in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, except that the template is rooted in one of the four paraelemental planes (Ooze, Smoke, Ice, Magma)? I'm specifically looking to create either a Magma half-elemental or a Ice half-elemental being.

I appreciate any help you all can provide.

Thanks!

M.

the Jester

Legend
Cool idea, but I haven't seen one.

Or how about a half-modron template? I posted looking for one in the Homebrewed Monsters forum, but nobody seems to have one. I've done up the half-slaad, though.

Meridian

First Post
Ice Half-Paraelemental Template

I got bored, so I gave it a shot. :) Keep in mind that I don't have the Manual of the Planes as a handy reference; this is pretty much shooting in the dark, based on the Half-Celestial template in the MM.

HALF-PARAELEMENTAL (ICE)

Description: Ice half-paraelemental creatures tend to look like albinos at first glance. as any fur or hair is pure white with highlights of blue, with skin as pale as some undead vampires are able to achieve, ranging to deep blue. Their eyes, however, confirm their paraelemental heritage; instead of the albino red eye pigmentation, the pupils of the ice half-paraelemental are colorless, like pale crystal, with only a hint of color. They radiate a faint chill and are not affected by natural cold at all. They become irritable under prolonged conditions of heat, and prefer mountain range habitats when given a choice.

“Half-paraelemental” is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”). The creature’s type changes to “outsider.” It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Speed: Ice half-paraelementals move across snow and ice at their normal movement rate, without falling or slipping (horizontally only). Inclines of greater than 45 degrees force normal movement as per climbing rules.
AC: Natural armor improves by +1.
Special attacks: An ice half-paraelemental retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the supernatural ability to generate a ray of cold at will as the spell. Ice half-paraelementals with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher possess the following spell-like abilities, using their level as the caster level, as specified in the table below. Unless otherwise indicated, the ability is usable once a day.
  • 1st-2nd Endure elements (cold only), 3 times/day; obscuring mist
  • 3rd-4th Grease, resist elements (cold only)
  • 5th-6th Chill metal, protection from elements (cold only)
  • 7th-8th Sleet storm; wall of ice
  • 9th-10th Ice storm
  • 11th-12th Cone of cold
  • 13th-14th Otiluke’s freezing sphere
  • 15th-16th Control weather (cold effects only)
  • 17th-18th Summon monster IX (ice paraelementals only)
  • 19th+ Elemental swarm (as cold spell only)

Special qualities: An ice half-paraelemental has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus darkvision. Ice half-paraelementals are immune to acid, cold, disease and electricity, and gain a +4 racial bonus to Fortitude saves against poison.
Saves: Same as the base creature.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Dex +2, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +4
Skills: An ice half-paraelemental has 8 skill points, plus the Intelligence modifier, per Hit Die. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills and other skills as cross-class. If the creature has a class, it gains skills for that class normally.
Feat: Ice half-paraelementals have one feat for every four levels or the base creature’s total of feats, whichever is greater.
Climate/Terrain: Same as either the base creature or the elemental.
Organization: Same as the base creature.
Alignment: Any
Treasure: Same as the base creature.
Advancement: Same as the base creature.

ICE HALF-PARAELEMENTAL CHARACTERS
Ice half-paraelemental humanoids often have a character class, favoring clerics, fighters, and sorcerors. Nonhumanoids are also clerics or fighters. Half-paraelemental clerics serve elemental deities governing their element.

Last edited:

Meridian

First Post
My other attempt

HALF-PARAELEMENTAL (SMOKE)

Description: Smoke half-paraelemental creatures can be mistaken for subterranean versions of the base creature. The color of their fur or hair ranges from pale white to ashy grey or charcoal black, with skin achieving similiar shades of grey or black. The eyes of the smoke half-paraelemental are pupiless orbs that range in color from white to dark grey. True to their paraelemental origins, they are at once graceful and elusive, with a faint heat radiating around them. They do not like being confined by word, deed, or physical object, so they are less trusted if their true nature is known than most would be otherwise.

“Half-paraelemental” is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”). The creature’s type changes to “outsider.” It uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Speed: Smoke half-paraelementals move at normal movement through natural surroundings without leaving tracks, and move umimpeded through natural barriers as a druid of 3rd level.
AC: Same as base creature.
Special attacks: A smoke half-paraelemental retains all the special attacks of the base creature. Smoke half-paraelementals with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher possess the following spell-like abilities, using their level as the caster level, as specified in the table below. Unless otherwise indicated, the ability is usable once a day.
  • 1st-2nd Feather fall, 3 times/day; spider climb
  • 3rd-4th Fog cloud, pyrotechnics (smoke effects only)
  • 5th-6th Stinking cloud; gaseous form
  • 7th-8th Cloudkill, mind fog
  • 9th-10th Passwall
  • 11th-12th Acid fog
  • 13th-14th Phase door
  • 15th-16th Wind walk
  • 17th-18th Summon monster IX smoke paraelementals only)
  • 19th+ Elemental swarm (as smoke spell only)

Special qualities: A smoke half-paraelemental has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus darkvision. Smoke half-paraelementals are immune to acid, cold, disease and electricity, and gain a +4 racial bonus to Fortitude saves against poison.
Saves: Same as the base creature.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +4, Wis +2, Cha +2
Skills: A smoke half-paraelemental has 8 skill points, plus the Intelligence modifier, per Hit Die. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills and other skills as cross-class. If the creature has a class, it gains skills for that class normally.
Feat: Smoke half-paraelementals have one feat for every four levels or the base creature’s total of feats, whichever is greater.
Climate/Terrain: Same as either the base creature or the elemental.
Organization: Same as the base creature.
Alignment: Any
Treasure: Same as the base creature.
Advancement: Same as the base creature.

SMOKE HALF-PARAELEMENTAL CHARACTERS
Smoke half-paraelemental humanoids often have a character class, favoring rogues, fighters, and bards. Smoke half-paraelemental assassins are deadly but thankfully rare. Nonhumanoids are also rogues or fighters.

Last edited:

Hopping Vampire

First Post
there was an issue of dungeon or dragon magazine that had the half para- and quasi- genasi in it. i dont remeber which one. if id seen the cover i'd remember

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads