• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Half Race Appreciation Society: Half Elf most popular race choice in BG3

Do you think Half Elf being most popular BG3 race will cause PHB change?s?

• Yes, Elf (and possibly other specieses) will get a hybrid option.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Yes, a crunchier hybrid species system will be created

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Yes, a fluffier hybrid species system will be created

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • No, the playtest hybrid rules will move forward

Votes: 71 61.7%
  • No, hybrids will move to the DMG and setting books.

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 7.0%

Half-Elves have been one of most popular D&D races for decades (and Critical Role's first campaing had fully 50% of their PCs as that race), yet a few people on the Internet decided they were problematic in around 2019 so now we must be rid of them.
Looks like they're going back and scrubbing them from the lore too. DnD Beyond had a preview of some Phandelver content and they've gone and changed the half-elf NPC into another species.

I assure you, people like half-elves independently of their mechanics. They were super popular in 2E despite being slightly-less powerful elves with a little bit higher level limit in some classes.
Honestly the Half-Elf mechanics are boring af. If they did come back for 1DnD, I'd want a complete rework.

Similar to how humans got reworked as they were stupidly boring too.

Horwath

Legend
Honestly the Half-Elf mechanics are boring af. If they did come back for 1DnD, I'd want a complete rework.

Similar to how humans got reworked as they were stupidly boring too.
Humans should just get 3 feats and nothing else.

If you take 3 half feats, you get that +3 bonuses to ASI

Balance all races around those.

Half-humans(all) get one feat and most of the other race features(2/3rd of it).

Humans should just get 3 feats and nothing else.

If you take 3 half feats, you get that +3 bonuses to ASI

Balance all races around those.

Half-humans(all) get one feat and most of the other race features(2/3rd of it).
I'd rather that was custom race. While humans got actual features which made them their own thing.

Looks like they're going back and scrubbing them from the lore too. DnD Beyond had a preview of some Phandelver content and they've gone and changed the half-elf NPC into another species.

Extrapolating from a single point is dangerous. Maybe that specific half-elf was so stereotypical that they thought changing that one was a good idea.

Maybe they wanted to remove them until they know how to do them exactly in 2024. I really doubt they want to get rid of them as that would break compatibility and what is more important, would give very bad press.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads