• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Halfling w/ whip.

Antikinesis

First Post
A whip is a ranged weapon.

Ranged weapons are mostly projectile (requiring a launcher, like a bow or sling) or thrown (like a javelin or dart). (Or rays/cones, but let's keep magic out of this for the moment.)

Is a whip a thrown weapon, a projectile weapon, or the sole member of another ranged weapon type?

(i.e., "thrown", "projectile", and "whips")?

Got a halfling hoping to use the throwing bonus for whip attacks.

Any official rulings, or well-qualified opinions?

Thanks!

-AK

hong

WotC's bitch
Antikinesis said:
Is a whip a thrown weapon, a projectile weapon, or the sole member of another ranged weapon type?

"Although you keep it in hand, treat it as a projectile weapon with a maximum range of 15 feet and no range penalties." -- PHB p.104.

Antikinesis

First Post
Re: Re: Halfling w/ whip.

hong said:

"Although you keep it in hand, treat it as a projectile weapon with a maximum range of 15 feet and no range penalties." -- PHB p.104.

Okay, I'm just blind. I re-read that passage recently, and it registered as "ranged weapon" instead of "projectile weapon".

Thanks for the clarification!

-AK

Legildur

First Post
Halflings and slings? How do they rate?

(caveat that I don't have my books in front of me)

I note that the PHB (as does Sword and Fist) description states that slings are a favoured weapon for halflings. Yet halflings don't get it as a auto proficiency (like elves with bows etc) and neither do Rogues (a halfling's favoured class).

What's more, I believe Sword and Fist (under the race info) talks more about halflings getting their +1 attack bonus for thrown weapons when using a sling, but that sage advice was that the strength bonus to damage did not apply?

Does anyone have the final word on this perplexing set of circumstances of halflings and slings?

Not that it really matters to me as my 9th level halfling Rogue has a +2 crossbow of speed, so it isn't a big drama anymore.

Spatula

Explorer
Halflings got a bonus to hit with slings in previous editions, as I recall, which could be the source of the confusion. 3E halflings only get a bonus to hit with thrown weapons, which slings are not. I couldn't find anything in S&F that states otherwise.

That rogues aren't proficient with slings is a little strange, as it makes them the only class that is not proficient with them. Could be an oversight.

Legildur said:
Halflings and slings? How do they rate?

(caveat that I don't have my books in front of me)

I note that the PHB (as does Sword and Fist) description states that slings are a favoured weapon for halflings. Yet halflings don't get it as a auto proficiency (like elves with bows etc) and neither do Rogues (a halfling's favoured class).

What's more, I believe Sword and Fist (under the race info) talks more about halflings getting their +1 attack bonus for thrown weapons when using a sling, but that sage advice was that the strength bonus to damage did not apply?

Does anyone have the final word on this perplexing set of circumstances of halflings and slings?

Not that it really matters to me as my 9th level halfling Rogue has a +2 crossbow of speed, so it isn't a big drama anymore.

Legildur

First Post
Okay, I dug through my e-mail archives and found a reply to part of this issue I got from the customer service e-mail address at WotC. This is not to say that I necessarily agree with it, but it is a ruling:

Yes slings are considered thrown weapons and you do get your strength bonus.

Thanks and Happy Gaming!
Alex W.
Wizards of the Coast - Game Support
Game Support E-Mail: custserv@wizards.com
Game Support Phone: 1-800-324-6496
Monday through Friday, 9 AM - 7 PM PST
Corporate Phone: (425) 226-6500
Online Store Phone: 1-800-250-7589
Online Store Email: ordersup@wizards.com
Please quote this e-mail in any reply.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 4:09 PM
To: Wizards Customer Service
Subject: Slings and Thrown Weapons

Page 42 of Sword and Fist discusses Halflings as Fighters. It states that their attack bonus with thrown weapons makes a sling (among other weapons) a good choice (why Halflings are not automatically proficient with slings as elves are with bows is another point!).

If a sling is considered a thrown weapon for the purposes of the Halfling's racial attack bonus, does a character's strength bonus apply to the damage inflicted by a sling bullet or stone?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads