D&D 5E Halloween Adventure: The Laboratory-Tomb of Dr. Viktor Vampenstein

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Another one of your grand designs!

Another golden offer from Iserith. Both frightening and funny...I love it.

Werewolf....there wolf....there castle.

Very awesome! I'm definitely going to run this!

Thanks for the positive feedback, all. If you do end up playing this scenario, please let me know how it goes!

Somebody hit me up on Twitter yesterday to ask if it was cool to run it on their podcast. So we might be able to hear some actual play with this scenario!

If they do record it for a podcast, please post a link in this thread. I'd be interested in listening to other people play this adventure.

Vargtass

Villager
Excellent work as always, Iserith! Now, if I only had time this Halloween ...
(and it's simply "the creature" ...)

I really like "one day left to retirement" - he is probably too old for this ...

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Update:

Lora Literati character sheet posted. See "The Cast" section of the original post.

House Rule: Ingenuity posted. See "Additional Notes" section of the original post.

More character sheets to follow.

Thanks! How many sessions does it take you to run Ravenloft I6?

All nighter running from 10am to midnight, with a break for late lunch and dinner. The game goes something like this:

1. Randomly draw pregens
2. Tarot Reading - sets moods and slightly rearranges the module
3. Streamline NPC interaction to push a single plot
4. Character levels are automatic. Hit points are max.
5. Fight, fight, fight.
6. Game ends either in a TPK or a victory!

The original module is very much like a board game in that the game is designed to kick players out rather than keep them around. If you don't delve too deeply into the story it's actually surprisingly fast paced. Knowing the material ahead of time and limiting the descriptions to something quick and vivid sames lots of time. As a DM, your diction can push the pace and create a sense of urgency without telling the players to hurry and break the 4th wall. I usually do this through NPCs and descriptions. I also put obvious "clues" - screams, fresh blood, the sound of breaking glass and forced entry. Then rather than spend time checking an empty room and admiring the architecture, they dash to the next encounter.

Also, I was really happy that WotC released the board game Castle Ravenloft as it gave me official miniatures. I just wish they were all painted. So many unpainted figurines this year. However, my friend made a foam diorama of the church where we staged an epic fight - dozens of zombies smashing their way in and trapping the PCs.

Remove ads