Hamilton on Disney +

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Also, he names the character Macbeth, and not the play, so the curse was not invoked. (This is what I'd heard at least, correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes, he speaks the character's name, rather than the play's. My sources of theater lore are not consistent on whether that matters, so I suppose it is all a matter of how much you want to risk...

Janx

Hero
The biggest problem is that the rest of the cast can basically sing circles around Lin. Oh, he's plenty good, we're not talking the same writing-to-vocals talent disparity as, say, a Bob Dylan, but he just doesn't quite hold his own among the rest of the incredible talent surrounding him.

An interesting tidbit of trivia, but Lin originally conceptualized himself playing Aaron Burr, and if memory serves didn't make the decision to cast himself as Hamilton instead until relatively late in the writing process. I personally think it was the right choice, but it's definitely one of the more intriguing casting "what-ifs", it's really hard to imagine him and Leslie Odom Jr switching roles.

Lin's voice struggles to cut through the mix at times, making it harder to hear what he's saying.

I liked the show. The music, lyrics, plot, presentation were genius. My hearing problems + Lin at times made it a challenge.

I'll have to watch it again and hope osmosis and repetition fill in the blanks (and maybe closed captioning).

Remove ads