Handling mature artwork/themes in modern mass-market RPGs

R_J_K75

Legend
How do you approach art and other representation of these mature themes while avoiding misogyny, and ensuring the art is done tastefully and inclusive?
As a fellow cishet white man here's my opinion. When dealing with a mature subject no matter what precautions you take chances are someone is going to be offended or feel left out. I'd just put a warning/disclaimer and age restriction on a shrink wrap cover of a physical book or on the website before someone can purchase and download/access it. I think one sentence describing what the material in the book is should be enough. I like the artwork and personally don't find anything wrong with it, nice job.

MGibster

Legend
I honestly don't always know where to draw the line between regular content and mature content. In the first episode of The Clone Wars CGI animated series on Disney that I watched, I was more than a little surprised to see the battle droids murdering helpless soldiers trapped in escape pods. This is a Star Wars cartoon so you know there's a significant number of children who watch it. Was it appropriate? I'm not sure. (Though I'd argue it's better than depicting a war with no casualties.)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
IMO, there's big difference between a nudity scene and a sex scene. Nudity, even more when representing diverse genders and body types, is tasteful.

Secondly, we are talking about faes with a moral very different than our own (or a lack thereof), so I see them as wearing clothes only if it helps make them more fabulous, not to hide and cover something. So nudity makes sense.

opacitizen

Explorer
As an aside, using stylistically so varying images (especially in color) is an interesting and imo somewhat risky art direction choice.

As for the main question, I'd just recommend taking a look at thematically similar products like Crow Land Publishing's Wickerpunk or Fria Ligan's Vaesen, for example.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Surely if it's tackling mature themes and including NSFW artwork, that automatically moves it out of the "mass market" sphere?

This was my thought. In movies, you still have "mass market" for R-rated films, but in RPGs, I think these qualify as niche.

Which should be fine - not everything needs to be for everyone.

Also agreed. The classification isn't a moral judgement, it is a realistic assessment of the market and where your marketing should go.

Which poses the question: How do you approach art and other representation of these mature themes while avoiding misogyny, and ensuring the art is done tastefully and inclusive? This is a question I took seriously and asked several folks for their opinions, especially those artists who aren't cishet white men.

As a cishet white guy... even I noted that everyone in the selected pieces seems to also be white - if not in actual color, then in facial features and build.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I really like the pieces by Toni and Alexael, and wouldn't consider either a problem.

As a cishet white guy... even I noted that everyone in the elected pieces seems to also be white - if not in actual color, then in facial features and build.
It's a thing. My latest game had instructions to artists that said "the default skin tone is dark, and people should be 50/50 men and women." Even with specific art order instructions, I'm not sure that every artist gets it!

I'll also point out that there can be a difference between nudity and objectifying women for the male gaze. Take a look at this superhero image from the game Ascendant, compared to this image from Heroes of the Cypher System. Both show women superheroes, but one is really sexualized. Definitely a pet peeve of mine.

Sacrosanct

Legend
As a cishet white guy... even I noted that everyone in the elected pieces seems to also be white - if not in actual color, then in facial features and build.
The two dancing fairies are both PoC*. Also, the book is focused on western and northern European folklore and folktales as they were originally, so naturally, most depictions will be representations of that culture.

*And one of them has Vitiligo. When we talk about diversity in representation, body types and other conditions such as Vitiligo often get overlooked.

I mean, ask yourself, why do I want these people naked? If you have an answer, ok.

The dancing naked in the forest one is tame, I’d show a toddler, dancing naked in the forest is a family safe theme for going crazy and doing witch things.

I have no idea why all the archfey are naked. That one is weird.

there seems to be no reason for u n a to be naked. Other than to present as an attractive body to cishet men. From you stat block, doesn’t seem necessary. Only reason for tha picture is titillating.

jmho

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Which poses the question: How do you approach art and other representation of these mature themes while avoiding misogyny, and ensuring the art is done tastefully and inclusive?
If the emphasis is on mature themes, the answer is probably: you don't.

My answer: get as much Brom work as you can, regardless of the market. Because: coolness.

Remove ads