• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Happy Drunk Grappler

I have an idea for a fun, flavorful character I figured I'd ask for some help designing. Not exactly sure if I'll end up playing the character, if it will show up as an NPC helping the party, or even as a random villain, but I wanted to design the build because it sounded fun (and I didn't have anything better to do during my commute to work).

The basic idea is a person who drinks too much, becomes loud and obnoxious, gets in a confrontation, and eventually attempts to "hug it out", which winds up killing people (or at least makes it easy for allies to do so).

Mechanically, this translates to focusing on all the drinking abilities available and grapple boosts. The character would most likely be a dwarf. They'd have two or three levels of barbarian with Drunken Brute and Brutal Pugilist archetypes to get Raging Drunk, Savage Grapple, and access to rage powers (good for what ails you, roaring drunk, liquid courage, etc.). After that, the rest of the levels would go into Drunken Master monk (ignore the alignment conflict; my group typically allows any alignment for monks) possibly with the Snapping Turtle Style for counter-grapples ("Oh you, com'ere and give me a hug!"). Throw in things like the Fortified Drinker trait, the Deep Drinker feat, and a few "Extra Rage Powers" to grab the alcoholic buffs from barbarian and things start to fall together.

I'm also open to the idea of other class dips like fighter or rogue if it helps and is fitting. I'm debating on a level of Cleric of Cayden Cailean (god of drinking) for the Travel and Chaos/Charm(Love) domains with the ale/wine variant channeling and getting to cast Enhance Water.

So I guess the question is: how would you build a fun, flavorful character that focuses on drinking beer and giving people bear hugs?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads