Happy Free RPG Day! (2012 edition - How was your day?)

falcarrion

First Post
Our FLGS needs to limit each customer to two items because they get very busy, and they get four kits for the day. It's fair enough, too. There's probably plenty of that stuff on eBay already from folks who went somewhere and just grabbed everything they could. I live a few blocks down the street from Games Plus, so I poked my head in a couple of times and they were very busy all day long and people were also buying a lot of stuff, so good for them for doing the promotion but they get a pretty could crowd most days anyway. I, for one, and glad they purchase these Free RPG Day kits and think it is nice that I'm even given the chance to pick out one free item, let alone two. It's not like they even have to do it at all and there are plenty of places that don't (yet?).

Games Plus has always taken care of thier customers. glad to hear things went well there.

Dire Bare

Legend
My local store didn't participate this year. Apparently it's only free for the consumers....

Too bad, I really was looking forward to that DCC adventure.

My closest FLGS feels the same way, they don't like that THEY have to pay for the kits. I tried to explain that Free RPG Day isn't free for the simple sake of distributing swag, but it is a marketing tool. Marketing for the game companies, the distributors, AND the local game stores! My store would simply lay out the freebies, and then wonder why traffic didn't increase significantly nor did sales that day.

Local game stores with smart management realize FRPGD is an amazing opportunity to get folks in the door, get them buying stuff, in the short and long term. Sadly, my store isn't that type of store, although they do okay and I'm glad to continue patronizing them.

Then again, I didn't even check or go down this year, due to their past FAILs on the day.

The next nearest store that participated in the past made folks jump through stupid hoops to get the swag, and it just pissed me off. I have no problem with a store limiting the free stuff to one or two per person, or offering extra free stuff with purchase. But this store wouldn't let you take the WotC stuff or Paizo stuff without first sitting down to a freaking game! You had to commit to at least an hour in the store, IF you timed your visit at the beginning of a game and didn't have to wait. Stupid. I never even bother visiting that store anymore.

grodog

Hero
Anybody know how the chocolates tasted and what the Gaming Paper adventure looks like?

I never saw the chocolates, but I didn't find the Gaming Paper adventure to be terribly noteworthy on a quick skim. I'll read through it in more detail soon, but that was my first impression.

Slowly but surely I'll get a matching set of Q-workshop dice with funky numbers, but no progress this year I guess.

Are the Free RPG Day Q-Workshop dice different from their usual sets in some way? Your mention of "funky numbers" caught my eye....

Wycen

Explorer
I never saw the chocolates, but I didn't find the Gaming Paper adventure to be terribly noteworthy on a quick skim. I'll read through it in more detail soon, but that was my first impression.

Are the Free RPG Day Q-Workshop dice different from their usual sets in some way? Your mention of "funky numbers" caught my eye....

I'm not sure if the Q-workshop dice for Free RPG Day are special or not. By funky numbers I really meant that the scroll work around the edges/planes makes some of the dice harder to read at a distance. The d10 I'm looking at for example.

However, I also have a little baggie from Q-workshop with a d10 marked with characters that look like kana, maybe kanji. Maybe another symbolic language. It came with two counters, one with a dragon figure etched in it. I'm thinking they are left over or defects from special runs which you can order from Q-workshop. I had completely forgotten about it until your post triggered my memory.

Remove ads