Harassment in gaming

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
As a potentially interesting point, about a dozen years ago I had to go through a corporate harassment training class (in Colorado, USA). The "instructor" was a corporate lawyer who supposedly specialized in harassment, though it seemed she probably just got licensed. Anyway, after about 90 minutes of "training" us, the audience started asking pointed questions. By the end of the 2 hour class, she agreed that their was no definitive legal definition of harassment, and that in the end it would depend upon what the the two sides in the case could convince the jury of. And that emotion was key to convincing the jury.

Maybe their is now a better legal definition, but I doubt it.

I had a friend who was a paralegal once (I think he may have gone full law school since) and he used to say that about almost all crimes and civil case.

definitive legal definition of XXXXXXX, and that in the end it would depend upon what the the two sides in the case could convince the jury of. And that emotion was key to convincing the jury.
then again he also use to joke about it being about research too, and that there was precedent for any and every thing on both sides of any argument, you just had to find them

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Not at all. Please read. I have a cold and virtually no patience to explain the obvious fact that you should be aware of what you say, and who you're saying it to/around, and that something you've innocently said can be misconstrued by a stranger who doesn't catch your entire conversation. That is absolutely not the same thing as your friend who knows you and how you will react not being able to tell you about the Shrek Xmas special and you should most certainly know that and not need to have me explain it to you!

except once I walk into a new FLGS you think any and all conversation that can be 'misconstrued' should end... think about what conversation I'm talking about... if Jimbo and Jonny are talking about puss in boots in the corner they have to stop and wonder..."OMG a girl walked in...I have to not be myself or talk like myself even about this kids cartoon or I may harass her" and you think that environment will make me feel comfortable?

I'm in a bad mood myself, and have been since around noon yesterday (I doubt anyone here is the fault for it) so mayb I am being more negative today, but you sure are doing a bad job explaining what you want to say without making it sound like you think I'm not just another customer int he store or con...

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
If you're in a bad mood, then you should avoid posting until you feel better. (Speaking from much experience here.)

MechaPilot has been a beacon of calm in this conversation for numerous pages. She's been very open and remained polite.

She deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Remove ads